You're Doomed!

by individual 6 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

About 3 years ago we had one of those 'lovely' visits from the CO. For his main talk he decided to encourage us out into the field, to do more on the ministry. I don't know who his motivational instructor was but he might as well of stood in front of us at the hall with a machine gun. The main point of his talk was "You only do one hour a month? Think you are good? You only do two hours a month? Do you think that is enough? I tell you now - you will absolutely NOT survive Armageddon." He repeated this several times during his talk, speaking extremely sternly. A number of people around my wife and I nearly walked out, I stopped going to the meetings for a while because of it. It was just the arrogance and the judgemental nature of the talk. It made you feel that nothing you did was good enough and that you might as well not bother - you are going to die anyway.

Anybody had a similar experience with a severe talk? How did you feel?

• logical
    logical

Thats not very nice.

There were similar service meetings in my congregation.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

What, no today logical?

Slipnslidemaster: "But at my back I always hear Time's winged chariot hurrying near."
    - Andrew Marvell

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

The last meeting I went to, the elder that gave the Public Talk went on and on about how imperfect we all were and how we all needed to make changes.....walked away with the same feeling of "I will never be good enough!"

mpatrick

He does not believe who does not live according to his belief.-Thomas Fuller

• fodeja
  • individual
    individual

The same CO as I mentioned above suggested that if we could not do enough hours on the ministry that we could consider telephone witnessing. He then said "I know what you are thinking - what about the bill?!" Well, he had the answer -"Jehovah will pay it for you, don't worry!"

I was very tempted to present him with a phone bill on his next visit saying "Well, I've managed to do 150 hours per month for the last quarter, but what do I do with THIS?!"

• metatron
    metatron

Who's doomed? The unfaithful? Really? What is the current
    fate of the LOYAL?

In my congregation, we had a very loyal elder - who got
    a weird disease no one could identify - he died slowly
    and horribly.

Another elder in his late sixties is slowly dying
    of yet another weird unidentified disease - wasting away,
    etc.

My dear VERY LOYAL and zealous aunt died from cancer
    that spread all over (bone, liver. etc.) - in the
    same congregation.

If this is how the faithful are blessed by God,
    what's the point? Better that more effort should go into
    research to find cures - rather than waste money and time
    listening to 'doom and gloom' idiot circuit-riders!

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit