My life by the numbers..

by myway2007 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• myway2007
    myway2007

All,

I have enjoyed this site long enough, that I thought it was time to start giving back.  It's been a reflective few days as I tried to quantify the passage of time.  How time flies...

I turn 55 this year- and life is Amazing!
    It was last year I reached out to one of my siblings via email to see if I could visit my mom before
    she passes as she is over 90 now and the response I got was that it was too painful for her
    to see me until "I do the right thing"
    It was 5 years ago that I was able to finally become whole from all the anger and pain and normalize my life.
    It was 33 years ago that i was DF'd.  Funny thing the only people who remember that fact is my family
    it was 15 years ago I last saw my siblings at the funeral of my unbelieving dad.  before that I at least
    had somewhat of a relationship with my mother, who went into hard core shunning after that.
    How quickly it was disregarded everything I did to take care of them both while dad was alive
    because I had the financial means to do so.
    It was 12 years ago I got a phone call from a strange number that was from my niece trying to find her uncle.
    her uncle that was a name unspoken because he was DF'd and she was looking for something to hang on
    to as she tried to escape.  We had a good conversation, I told her some things about her mother, my
    sister that she didn't know and told her the two things that I used everyday to keep me going:
    Don't ever give up - if you do they win
    Living better is the best revenge
    Last I heard she did not make it out.

So what happened in all the years in between?  Life happened.  Good days, bad days, divorce, marriage more then once
    Focused on my career without college, raised a child, danced at his wedding, enjoyed the birth of the first grandchild
    and all along the way embraced the holidays and made them my own.  Created our own family traditions to
    embrace the things that were important to us.  Through all of that I always had an edge when it came to
    religion and my family that kept me from being whole. But I was determined to succeed.
    Then I met someone who helped me bridge the gap between religion and faith, understanding that
    because of being raised as a JW I would never be whole without coming to grips with it all.
    I can now embrace going to and being part of a church and how it fills my personal need for faith
    and how that made me whole and ready to take on the next adventures in my life.  So remember when things
    get tough:
    Don't ever give up - if you do they win
    Living better is the best revenge

Myway

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    Thanks for sharing! Life isn't always perfect on the outside, but it's richer.  Glad to hear about your life well-lived so far!
  • sprintcmp
    sprintcmp

"It was last year I reached out to one of my siblings via email to see if I could visit my mom before
    she passes as she is over 90 now and the response I got was that it was too painful for her
    to see me until "I do the right thing""----OMG...they have been holding on to this for 33 years???  Is this just your siblings answer? What does your mother herself say now? 

"How quickly it was disregarded everything I did to take care of them both while dad was alive
    because I had the financial means to do so."----this sounds familiar...I know full well that if I were not contributing to my mothers upkeep that i would be shunned.  She tolerates me and occasionally tries to pull me back because of her "love" for me and not " wanting me to lose my life at Armegeddon".

By the way, Congratulations on a life well lived!!! 

• suavojr
    suavojr

It is sad that your family cannot allow themselves to do what is right, over the status imposed by an ecclesiastical group of men. But great to live life your way! Thanks for sharing.

• myway2007
    myway2007
    Thanks Sprintcmp - I think my mom felt like she had to live up to the same level that my siblings did.  She said after dad passed that if she went to live with the one of them I would never be able to speak to her.  Imagine that level of controlling pressure just a few days past the funeral!  I offered for her to come live with us at the time and there were 101 excuses from the sibs why not - kingdom hall too far / living in a worldly house, etc.  At that point in my life i wasn't mentally up for the fight like I would be today.  If would be a whole different story.  But honestly it's like talking to bricks, they are so stuck in their ways, and you stand back and say oh what's the sense?
  • franticfran
    franticfran
    Oh what a lovely expression of a calm and happy good life with the freedom to choose and taking what comes when, because were human,sometimes the choices we made were perhaps not so wise. Oh well done you! Carry on spreading and sharing such warmth and sweet content.
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    I enjoyed that.     Thanks for sharing!
  • DJS
    DJS
    Thank you for sharing your story. Another ex-Dub success story!! And welcome to the forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit