Food Storage for Campers and Motor Homes

by BrendaCloutier 5 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Capt Schmideo's adventure has further encouraged me to get goin'.

Neighbors of ours have purchased a land yacht (luxury motor home). And I've given them some food storage containers and some storage tips. They are both sales people and said that I should write a book for the camper/motor home set.

My background: We packed our sailboat for a 3-1/2 month voyage on the Mexican pacific coast. I was talked out of using the refrigeration system on the boat because of the extensive draw on the batteries. So I used it for deep food storage. I did some extensive food storage research and came up with lot's of good tips and advice I will publish. Many from the Mormon community. And many from Larry and Lynn Pardee (sailor's who paid for their multi-circumnavigations by writing books). I also developed an excellent, easy to use Access database and report system that I can also work on after the book.

My request of y'all: Do you have any food storage tips I can consider using?

I'll pass on two gems:

1) Brined butter. Brine= 1C boiled water with 1 Tblsp salt. Allow to cool. Steralize pint wide-mouth canning jars (boiling water poored in and dumped after 10 minutes). Pack with unsalted butter, making sure all airbubbles are out. Leave 1" headroom. Top with 1/2 inch cooled brine. Apply lid and store at room temp. This will keep in 80-90 degree temp for up to 3 months! When you use the butter, be sure to smooth over the top so no butter sticks above the brine. Make and add more brine if necessary. If you have even a tiny piece above the brine it will pick up bacteria and trasfer it to the butter. One we had tasted like blue cheese! A plastic top, or plastic wrap under the metal lid, is best as the salt brine will rust the metal lid.

2) Reducing oxidation and insect hatches in grain products (flour and rice). Use a walnut-size chunk of dry ice in the bottom of the container. Add grain product. Allow the dry ice to evaporate completely. Without disturbing the container, seal as appropriate. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. It is heavier than oxygen and as it evaporates it fills the container with carbon dioxide pushing out the oxygen, and making an unhealthy environment for insects to inhabit.

Thanx in advance

Brenda Psst: Peace begins with me - pass it on!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

just saw this.. food preservation to me is hiding my m&ms where no one else will find them lol

i'd be interested to hear more tips though. it'd be knowlege i'd want to have if i were ever in a disaster like the recent tsunamis!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Candidly, that's what MRE's are for. Stands for Meal Ready to Eat. Available at most Army-Navy Surplus stores or survivalist outlet... I have 2 in my emergency box, along with candles, twine, flashlight, batteries, toilet paper, a pot, gel fuel to heat water, iodine tablets for purifying water, tea and sugar (gotta have that caffiene), and a small firstaide kit.

BTW, where do you hide your M&Ms?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thats good to know..

(btw I AINT TELLIN but you gotta go thru a lotta granny panties and worn out bras to find them lol)

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

oh.. my survial kit includes candles, matches and lighters, small bottle of bleach, tp, canned soup, bottled water, can openers, swiss army knife, generic clothes (sweat pants tshirts), halfass first aid kit ( bandaids tylenol, pepto).

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I found putting together an emergency kit is sorta like "packing up your troubles in your old kit bag". It reduces a lot of the uneasiness and fear of disaster. Even if it isn't quite complete. Just like knowing where your secret stash of M&Ms is. You don't go there unless you absolutely have to!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit