Death Anxiety?

by Blueblades 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Sooner or later, all of us will face the stark reality of death. Many people go through life with an increasing awareness and increasing anxiety about their eventual fate. What happens when we die? Do we simply cease to exist with our consciousness obliterated for all eternity? Or do we have an enduring soul that can continue to experience awarenes and some form of ongoing "life"?

Does God exist? Without a creator, how can the universe exist? What is the purpose of the universe and what is its ultimate fate? Does our behavior in day to day life really influence what happens to us after we die? Why do so many people believe in a heaven and a hell? What is the basis for these beliefs?

Should we be anxious about our death or just enjoy life in the here and now? Can these ultimate mysteries be solved by science? What does science already know about the mysteries of creation?

Searching For Eternity, A Scientist's Spiritual Journey to Overcome Death Anxiety, by Dr. Don Morse.

Have you read it? What are your thoughts about his own inescapable conclusion: That some form of an afterlife must exist. And that there is evidence of the possibility of an enduring soul, God, and a positive afterlife.

I appreciate any responses .

Blueblades

• Balsam
    Balsam

I've confronted death myself, and lost many family members to death, including my 15 year old son almost 4 years ago. Death has become very much a part of my everyday life. I was with both my parents as they passed and it was good to do so.

So I do not fear death, certaining getting dead is the more unpleansant of experiences. Once were gone then the adventure begins if there life after death. If there isn't we won't know it will we.

Balsam

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The WTBTS is correct about there bing no such place as hellfire -once I was 100% convinced of that death had no fear for me - besides I live on in my kids

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i don't think about death at all. when i was five, i was almost trampled by a horse. when i was 11, i rolled down the side of a mountain, at 13 i almost drowned, at 14 i was sledding down a mountain slope and came within inches of sliding off the edge, and at 19 i found myself in a very dangerous situation with a psychotic man from work, which i was able to talk myself out of. i do fear death though... not my own, but that a loved one would be taken from me. as for myself, i just want it to be quick and painless, or maybe even spectacular like in a big ball of fire or something.

• missy04
    missy04

I get "death anxiety" alot...mostly comes from anxiety...and when I have an anxiety attack.. WOAH....then I really think I'm dyin!!

• all_forgiving
    all_forgiving

Back in 87 I was told I had hodgskins lymphoma. Weeks away from radical radiation therapy. In those weeks of seeing and thinking my life was going to be cut short I had much time to reflect on my past. I was content. The out pouring of support was amazing. I knew then my paths I had taken in life was none in vain. To see the legacy I was about to leave behind was all the comfort one could ask for. Two weeks past and I got a call putting the Radiation therapy to a halt. Either test were wrong or something else but I was told I no longer had which was thought. In those two weeks the peace that was in my was as strong as anything I've ever known.

I came to appreciate more all that was around me, and all that I've done. I live everyday like it's my last and give everything I can to those in need.

Death I do not fear.

all_forgiven

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Well as a ex JW I thought very little about death.But my hubby ..who remained a JW..had a great fear of death. He just knew he had something..some kind of disease ..and was going to die. This went on for years..

Well..imagine when he was admitted to the hospital and his worst fears were confirmed!

He died 5 months later.

My motto..don't worry about it until it happens..and then it is too late..

Just try to take care of yourself the best you can..but don't lose any sleep over it.

My Mother in law..at age 83..said "If I knew I was going to live so long..I would have taken better care of myself"..

Worrying about it does nothing for you..

Snoozy..

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

Ahhhh.. Many questions here. I didn't read the book, but does Mr. Morse give his opinion on these? O.k. here's my spin.

What happens when we die?

Well, whatever happens, we all get the same result. Atheist, Catholic, Hindu, Muslum, etc. I don't care what you believe now. When you die. The same answer is revealed. I love the great debates between atheists and theists. You have geniuses, scholars and educated people debating this for years. These people are not dummies. Yet guess what? One group is wrong. Hmmm. Just a thought.

Do we simply cease to exist with our consciousness obliterated for all eternity? Or do we have an enduring soul that can continue to experience awarenes and some form of ongoing "life"?

I think we do go on in some form. Where? Not sure. Another life? Spiritual realm? Back to earth? I don't know. But there has been too many personal experieces for me, along with coincidences that has convinced me. I can't convince anyone else, again I believe this is a personal experience each must have on there own. I just feel there is too much unexplained phenomena to just brush it all under the carpet.

Does God exist?

Again, we will all find out. Right now this is just a seeker's question. I don't really think we need this answer except to maybe please our thinking mind. Because..... WE exist.

Without a creator, how can the universe exist?

Actually, very easily. The universe is self contained. Whether the big bang with a creator or not. Once it started it continued to go on, on it's own. So can the universe exist without a creator? Yes. Was it started by a creator? is a more appropiate question. The answer to that is....... I don't know. I never assume anything. Show me.

What is the purpose of the universe and what is its ultimate fate? Does our behavior in day to day life really influence what happens to us after we die?

Simply put. I don't know.

Why do so many people believe in a heaven and a hell? What is the basis for these beliefs?

Well, I'll tell you what... it's not because of experience. It's because of the written FICTIONAL words of cultists to instill fear and control into there followers. The basis is old folklore.

Should we be anxious about our death or just enjoy life in the here and now?

Definitely enjoy life in the here and now. Because you know what. That's all you have. The only thing that exists and is fact is the here and now. you are reading these words now. Not 5 minutes ago. The past is gone the future is yet to come and the only real reality we have is NOW. Fact. So, enjoy every minute. Great line from "The Shawshank Redemtion" Morgan Freeman's charater to Tim Robbin's character - "Get busy living, or get busy dying" So, every day you worry about dying is another day you might as well be dead. So, if you constantly are anxious of this, your just drivng yourself crazy and probably annoying other people in the process, so I would say go join NASA, cause all your doing on this planet is taking up space. :)

Can these ultimate mysteries be solved by science?

I think we could get more concrete answers if science took the subject more seriously.

What does science already know about the mysteries of creation?

Probably more then they are letting on. I mean think about this cloning stuff they've been doing.

O.k. that's my 2 cents, talk later everyone. Oh and sorry about the hiatus. It took me awhile to get my body back after Jason took my head. But I'll be back. The rematch is coming soon. Look for it "Freddy Vs. Jason 2" Yes, I'm serious.

-Freddy

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

The only truth is that everything that has ever lived on earth has died.This is an inexcabable fact.I think people choose thier beliefs to try and psycologically change this fact.--Also known as "hope".

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

DR. Morse' vast research includes his own near death experience. He summarizes, OBE'S, out of body experiences, NDE'S, near death experiences, experiments creating apparitions, research attempting to weight the soul, and the wide range of ancient and modern spiritual concepts are all covered. Its his comprehensive scientific quest for truth, blending religious, philosophical and scientific viewpoints and perspectives. It is his conclusion that some form of afterlife must exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit