NOW Is The Time..

by Englishman 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

..to plant GIANT vegetables!

I occasionally plant giant vegetable seeds just for fun. As well as the looks of incredulity you get when you produce a 5 pound onion, a 3 foot carrot or runner beans several feet in length, they make good eating if you haven't fed them on chemical fertilisers.

In the past I've grown giant carrots. Basically, you ram a pole about 30 inches into the ground. Then you wind it round and round, gradually leaning the pole outwards, until you have a hole the shape of an enormous ice cream cone. Fill the hole with fine seed compost and plant a few Saint Valery carrot seeds on the top. As they grow, pull out the weaker plants until you are left with just one carrot per hole which will, hopefully, plummet down to the bottom of the artificial cone. In around 7 months or so you will be the proud owner of an unbelievably large carrot!

This year I intend to grow a few giant onions. I shall plant Robinsons Mammoth Onion variety into a seed tray in the conservatory. This gives the seeds an extra 3 months growing time. Then I shall transplant them into individual pots before planting outside in April.

Anyway, I know this isn't the most interesting topic in the World.

But I bet you're impressed at the carrot growing technique!

Englishman.

• melmac
    melmac

How about miracle wheat?

• avishai
    avishai

I'm gonna do that for my kids!! Thanks eman!!

• vitty
    vitty

What do they taste like ? Do they lose any of there flavour by being so big?

I had a friend, when I was a kid, and her dad grew extra large onions. We used to eat cheese and onion on toast for supper, ah happy memories !!!!!!

• Mutz
    Mutz

My carrots were a disaster this year, they didn't amount to much at all.
    They were a small variety so I wasn't expecting monsters like your's Eman
    but I did hope for something a little above electron microscope range.
    Still, those that did grow tasted delicious.
    Have you seen the purple carrots btw?

• Mary
    Mary
    How about miracle wheat?

Now don't be silly; It's a well known fact that Charles Russell traded sum magic beans for that miracle wheat.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hey, I like the method. Well (deep subject) formed carrots!

A few years ago I went to Grimmway Farms in California outside of Bakersfield for client software training. I got a personal tour of the plant, it was really kewl. You know those "baby" carrots? Well, they are actually 1" or less in diameter and 9 or 10 inches long! Grimmway has a patent on them. They are cut, then run through a tumble grater and "sanded" down to size.

Me, I just grow weeds. Not even the good weeds, either.

Good planting

Bren

PS, the Fosteria and Camelia's are getting ready to bloom already!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit