WTS to go back on use of blood fractions?

by Mark 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mark
    Mark

(I'm sorry I originally posted this topic in the Friends forum... I don't know how to delete the one there. ) In my opinion, there is definitely a new trend in the way the WTS

deals with the medical use of blood fractions.

The most recent publication on this topic (e.g. W06/15/2004), and the newly

released blood document (dpa-E), which will be distributed during this week?s

service meeting, are written in a way that clearly discourages the use of fractions

of the so-called ?four primary components? of blood. Let me illustrate my claim.

First, as I think Blondie already pointed out in one of her weekly commentaries,

the W06/15/2004, especially in pp. 23-24, presented the use of blood fractions in

a clearly negative light. For example, whereas those considering use of blood

fractions were encouraged to spend time weighing in on the potentially bad

consequences of their actions, in particular with regard to ?stumbling? others,

no such encoragement was given to those who refuse blood fractions. The

discussion of 1 Cor. 8: 12 in paragraph 13 also appeared to imply that refusing

blood fractions was evidence of being spiritually ?strong? (or at least this is how

many witnesses I know personally understood this paragraph). The WTS knows

full well that the witnesses will invariably pick up these subtle messages and

give them the force of law, so a biased presentation of the issues is often

enough for their purposes.

The newly released blood document (dpa-E) is fundamentally different from

the old one in the way witnesses can express their wishes regarding the medical

use of blood fractions. The new blood document reads as follows:

?3. Regarding minor fractions of blood: [initial those that apply]

(a) I REFUSE ALL

(b) I REFUSE ALL EXCEPT:

(c) I may be willing to accept some minor blood fractions, but the details will

have to be discussed with me if I am conscious or with my health-care agent

in case of my incapacity.? (from dpa-E 11/04)

Compare this to the old document (from dpa-E 1/01):

?(5) Medical products [initial one of the three choices below]

(a) I refuse all fractions derived from any primary component of blood.

(b) I accept all fractions derived from any primary component of blood.

(c) I want to qualify either 5a or 5b, and my instructions about this are as follows: ??

The long-winded language used by the WTS in phrasing option (3c) speaks for

itself (notice also the deft use of capitalization in the first two options only).

The net effect of this change is that witnesses no longer have the ability to

express in a simple way that they wish to accept all blood fractions. The term

'minor blood fraction' is also problematic, because what the WTS considers 'minor'

may in reality be 'major' for just about everyone else, as we all know. For example,

can hemoglobin be considered a 'minor' blood fraction?

This week's service meeting concludes with a 10 min. part entitled 'The

Role of Conscience'. This talk is based on W06/15, 2004, pp. 23-24, and is

designed to reinforce the idea that one should think twice about accepting

blood fractions. Witnesses are intellectually lazy. They would rather initial the

REFUSE ALL option and deal with the consequences, than investigate other

options or face a physician that may challenge their beliefs.

Is this the beginning of yet another doctrinal flip-flop? Will the WTS go back on

the medical use of blood fractions? The WTS may be experiencing tension from

opposing factions within the highest levels of the organization, and this back- and-

forth may simply be the result of the GB's latest compromise in a never ending

balancing act.

So, what do you think?

Mark

• seeitallclearlynow
  • M.J.
    M.J.

I hope not. The new Hemoglobin products offer promise to save many lives. This would be a major flip-flop.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Sounds like they are returning to their strictest attitudes. The more lienent attitudes seem to be viewed as being spiritually weak now. The GB seems to care less and less for those they are murdering by encouraging people to refuse blood. So sad.

I lost a son due to the the blood policy, he was just 15 and had been in an auto accident.

Dak's Memorial site: http://www.mem.com/display/biography.asp?ID=9894

My story at Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood: http://www.ajwrb.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit