Wow this finally made sense.

by RobertPalmer 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RobertPalmer
    RobertPalmer

Was just out at church and came home picked up my bible and read some thing. It really jumped out at me so I thought I would share it ... it never made sense to me before it was always very confusing. If it confuses you wait for the explination because i feel it may let you see what I saw in it. In Philippians 2:5 it says: Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made himself of no reputation, taking on the form and likeness of a bond servant, and comming in the likeness of men.

The bit where it says he did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, jumped out at me. When some one steals something, they take it, they take it away from the owner and they take it to them self. Here it says Jesus did not consider it robbery to be equal with God. He did not consider that he was stealing by saying he was equal to God. If we were to say we were equal to God we would be stealing, we would be taking something that belonged to God, and taking it to our selves. If we did that then it could rightly be said of us we were stealing from God. It is saying here of Jesus he did not consider he was stealing by saying he was equal to God, because he was. But he made himself a servant, comming in the likeness of men. So that is how we should think, God has given us his spirit, and great blessing, but we should be willing to serve, to take on a servants attitude.

Why is it then that it says "therefore God has highly exalted him and given him a name above every other name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every toungue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the Glory of God the Father".

It is not because he humbled him self to the point of death that he received the name, which I had always thought. He already had it. The word "Therefore" refers to what comes before not just the single verese before but all of it. Jesus did not consider he was stealing by saying he was God. That is why he has the name at which every knee should bow. The way I read it is, Jesus said he was God, he did not think he was stealing by doing this, he became a man, was obedient until death, to save us. An now he has a new name, which is highly exalted (he did not have it before, because Jesus was not previously a known name for God). That is why all tongues will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, because the name Jesus is a name of God. To further suport this I once did a study on the word for Lord used in Jesus Christ is Lord. Lord is the greek work Kyros. It is Kyrios, the NWT translates the word Kyrios to Jehovah everywhere but not here. But Jesus is Kyrios, Jesus is Jehovah, but it is his new name to which every knee should bow. The new, and highly exalted name of Jesus. You are not stealing from God by calling Jesus Kyros, Paul did not think so.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Its always interesting to grasp things for oneself rather than be told what we have to believe by a goup of grumpy old men :) Its also refreshing to be able to throw the Watchtower glasses of and see things from a personal veiwpoint, whatever conclusions you reach, enjoy them even if others disagree with your interpretation.

Brummie

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

King James Version: 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Revised Standard Edition: 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Darby: 5 For let this mind be in you which [was] also in Christ Jesus; 6 who, subsisting in the form of God, did not esteem it an object of rapine to be on an equality with God; 7 but emptied himself, taking a bondman's form, taking his place in [the] likeness of men;

New World Translation: Keep this mental attitude in YOU that was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although he was existing in God's form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. 7 No, but he emptied himself and took a slave's form and came to be in the likeness of men.

Interesting how different these bibles are in their christology!

• willyloman
    willyloman

If you come back in another 1,700 years we'll probably have this sorted out.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate you sharing this.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    If we were to say we were equal to God we would be stealing, we would be taking something that belonged to God, and taking it to our selves. If we did that then it could rightly be said of us we were stealing from God.

Can you speak as me ? I too don't believe that being like God is robbery, but rather - being in service, to love:

• "he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust....You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
    • "My Father is working still, and I am working."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit - who's name is "I am who I am" - adopted into this family, I am who I am

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit