My "baptism anniversary"

by comment 1 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I just realized I was baptized eight years ago on this date.

Does that ever hit you when it rolls around?

I've been out for the last two years and can't say I thought about it much on the previous anniversaries--or even when I was active.

Not that I'm choked up about it or anything. It's just interesting to think back. I would say I had 4 "strong years" as a Witness (although on closer examination, the first two were when I was the most comfortable with the teachings and the second two were marked by more unthinking acceptance, while superficially all 4 years were very active for me), 1 "weak one" (when I started to think about things more critically and reassess my priorities in life) and, as I said, 2 out.

Now, living in a manner that only requires contact with other people when I desire, it's hard for me to tell how much I've changed as a person in those eight years. I think I've mellowed in terms of my treatment of other people and become less guilt-ridden and hard on myself. For instance, I remember a time when I would have advocated that all drug users face the death penalty, regardless of what drug, how much or the consequences to others. Today, while I don't use drugs personally and have no plans to start, I think of drug use (in most cases) as more of a medical problem and an emotional coping mechanism that is easy to fall into.

I guess the feelings I had while listening to my baptism talk were similar to those you have when you're getting married. I was nervous and couldn't concentrate on what the speaker was saying--then again, I'd heard essentially the same talk dozens of times before. I remember his first name was Bruce, and when they tried to dunk me, they had to do it twice because my toes came out of the water the first time.

Oh well, just reminiscing. Carry on if you like.

comment

• LadyBug
    LadyBug

hi comment

I enjoyed that "breakdown" of your years of "service". And I can totally understand that you're not "choked up about it or anything" LOL.

I remember a time when I would have advocated that all drug users face the death penalty, regardless of what drug, how much or the consequences to others
    I know I've been guilty of the same thing, not just where drugs are concerned, but other things too.

Leaving the Borg really does make you more tolerant.

You spoke of your baptism and it reminded me of mine. I was a few months off 15. Fred Franz was in Australia and gave my baptism talk. Wow what a privilege. I treasured that day most of my witness life. Not the baptism bit, the Fred Franz bit.

I'm almost falling off my chair laughing now, talk about idolatry!

And Comment sorry about those offending toes. LOL.

LadyBug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit