My First Christmas Card to my Shunned Uncle

by GermanXJW 8 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I mentioned this in the other thread but I think it is worth an own thread:

This year I also wrote my first Christmas Card. I send it to my uncle, my mother's brother. Like my mother he was raised as a JW (at least by my granny). He never got baptized and faded in his early years and married a "worldly" woman.

I only remember him when he came to lunch to my granny because his work was located nearby. The last time I saw him and his family was at my granny's funeral. He and his family were the only one bowing down their heads at the coffin...

There was no other contact whatsoever between my uncle and my mother.

I wonder if I will see any reaction to my card.

Any experiences with contacting long shunned family members this way?

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

I'm hoping you get a reply of some sort from your uncle.

It was rather interesting years ago when I heard a great uncle of mine had died. I wrote a letter to his widow explaining how I remember from my youth the kindness uncle showed my mom, his neice, and her children. Especially at Christmas time.

The odd thing was I explained briefly about my now Jw family and I having no relationship due to that religion, and then it dawned on me DUH- that she was a witness or her kids..or some such thing.

Nonetheless, my letter was never acknowledged, and that's ok, too.

My df aunt is the best. If your uncle is as cool as some of the other old timers long gone from that filthy religion, I'm betting you hear back real soon.

granny

• outnfree
    outnfree

Froeliche Weinachten, German XJW!

I don't have any experience contacting a "shunned" relative this way (nobody in my family were Witnesses), but it's sweet that you thought to do so. I DO have experience in contacting relatives that I had more or less ignored during my years as a JW and their reaction was, without exception, positive and welcoming. Hope yours is the same!

outnfree

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

By the way, the text in the card says:

"After all those years, at last I want to take the opportunity to wish you a merry X-Mas and a successfull 2005." signed with the names of my wife, my kids and me...

If I do not get a reply I will not hesitate to send him next year another one...

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

By the way, the text in the card says:

"After all those years, at last I want to take the opportunity to wish you a merry X-Mas and a successfull 2005." signed with the names of my wife, my kids and me...

If I do not get a reply I will not hesitate to send him next year another one...

• ballistic
    ballistic

GEXJW,

Well done on sending the card. After a few years, if German customs have any similarity with the English, you will discover a whole fascinating universe of Card sending protocol which can be somewhat baffling to the exiting cult member!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Dear all!

It really worked out: today I received a handwritten letter from my uncle!

He wrote that he has been very happy about my card and that he was surpriced that it was an X-mas-card.

He described his personal situation and asked me to write back more about me and my family. I surely will.

He also asked me to send greetings to my parents. They live ten minutes away from each other...

I am very happy that after all those years I may be successful in getting reconneted to family members I got out of touch with because of the JW religion.

So forget about the bad conscience having avoided some "worldly relatives" all these years. Get in touch before it is too late and you feel sorry that you never tried.

I am now thinking what I write back: I have not written a letter by hand for decades...

• blondie
    blondie

It's good to hear this news, GermanXJW. Yes, at least try to reach out to non-JW family. They are more forgiving than the "brothers and sisters" at the KH. Let us know what develops.

Love, Blondie

• Will Power
    Will Power

Gexjw

Oh my, how exciting! Great news.

Last Christmas I was able to share with a few relatives for the first time ever. Their first Christmas. It is a special feeling.

wp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit