Anyone from SE Texas???

by Elsewhere 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Every year or so I like to see if there are any new users from the area where I grew up.

The congregations I attended were: Port Arthur Central Congregation and Nederland Congregation.

• Redneckgurl
    Redneckgurl

Hellooooo!

I grew up in Katy, TX, still live here and attended the Katy Congregation that was the epitomy of LOVE! lol Yes, we were supposedly known to be one of the most loving congregations in the Houston area. Funny thing is, no one else agreed with that within the congregation! LOL Did you attend the DA at the Astrodome?

Krissy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Did you attend the DA at the Astrodome?

Yup I sure did! I even helped clean the damn seats so that the WTS could get a better rental deal.

I remember the "brothers" told us not to bring our own cleaning solutions because they would provide some sort of "pre-approved" solution. It turned out to be a common cleaner that you can get at the store, only they would cut it with water so that it would at least double the volume. The result: The solution basically did not work and we all ended up having to use far more "elbow grease" that was really needed.

Last I heard they are not using that building for DAs anymore. Whats the latest scoop on that?

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I attended several congregations in Corpus Christi, Tx, and usually attended assemblies in San Antonio or Houston. I used to sit in the seats in the Astrodome and look up at the girders and catwalks and think "I wish I had a hang glider...."

• Redneckgurl
    Redneckgurl

As far as the seat cleaning at the Astrodome, that was so gross! I remember people dressing in their absolute worst clothes and wearing gloves up to their elbows. I went 1 time, I always had an excuse before that, pregnant, couldn't get a sitter, etc.....finally when I was able to go, I got there late and didn't have to do much. I also found out I was allergic to those latex gloves. I could never understand the "approved cleaner" thing because it seemed like nothing but water. My mom kept trying to sell these special brushes to people that could help clean the seats easier. That was so embarrassing!

After the dome was taken over by new management, there was no special deal anymore for cleaning, so the cleaning ceased. I believe they ended up in Bryan last year. The assembly being much smaller, and more of them. It probably had something to do with the cost. So instead, more people had to save up money for hotels on that "approved" hotel list so they could travel farther. Glad we didn't go last year, what a hardship that would have put on my family!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit