Why going 'door to door' this week felt so good!

by nicolaou 8 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yes that's right, I actually went door to door this week!!

Well okay, not trolling for new dubs but as a collector for the National Kidney Research Fund.
    Earlier this year I'd done the same thing for Marie Curie Cancer Research.

Let me share a few things I've learned.

Most people were genuinely pleased to see me at their doorstep - can you imagine how alien that felt?
    They were pleasant, willing to chat and, with few exceptions, donated to what they could see were worthwhile causes.

I would return home after collecting with a feeling that I had actually accomplished something.
    Someone, somewhere at some point in time might actually benefit from the time that I, and many other volunteers, put into this charitable work. Hadn't felt that in a long time!

For any JW suffering from withdrawal after leaving the org I can heartily reccommend spending about a half hour a month doing this sort of work.
    Not as a replacement but as an eye opener.
    You will soon realise the futility of JW field ministry and not feel so guilty about not doing it.
    If you still have a faith, this may give you reason to ponder more clearly on the meaning of Jesus own ministry and what he did for others less fortunate for himself.

Even if you are without faith, so what!?
    We should all do something to help our fellowman right?

I considered for quite a while whether or not to make this post. I hope it's not seen as some kind of self promotion or fishing for praise.
    The truth is that this kind of charitable work actually did help me and I was sure that it would be good for quite a few others too.

Nic'

. http://jw.escape.to

• TMS
    TMS

Nic: Similar wave length here!

My wife and I have 50+ years as JW's. After several years of JW inactivity, depression and hurt, my wife signed on to be a 2000 U.S. Census taker. Using the people skills she had acquired as a seasoned JW and her instinctive honesty and straightforwardness, she was a big hit.(I think she could have been elected mayor of our small community)

Just as she used to tell our Bible students that the Kingdom Hall was filled with imperfect people, she told the respondents that the census was filled with stupid questions, most that she herself wouldn't answer. Most people laughed and filled out the forms anyway. It was wonderful therapy for her to be so well received after years of door-to-door rejections as a JW and finally bitter rejection by JW's themselves when we took in our "adult" son.

TMS

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

That is great that you do that work. As for me I go down to the local homeless shelter and volunteer my time and some financial support to that cause.
    I was a pioneer for a while and at the same time I worked in door to door sales as a cable tv rep. If I never knock on another door the rest of my life it would be too soon.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi Nic,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have often seen adverts for door-to-door jobs, such as census taking or market research, but because of the association of going d-t-d with witnessing, I have been relunctant to. Probably because one of my biggest fears is to be mistaken for a JW!! LOL...

I think it's good to be reminded every now and again that we need to do something to benefit our community, whether it's giving clothes or food to a winter appeal, helping in a homeless persons' hostel, or just simply giving a few hours to a volunteer organisation.

• Gray Wolf
    Gray Wolf

I have gone from door to door for a variety of reasons since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses. Though I was accused of being against the preaching work, and was supposedly attacked for that, the fact was that I never did feel it was wrong. What I did say was that there was no biblical requirement to go from door to door and that it wasn't very effective. What the Witnesses don't realize is that the preaching work (and particularly the door-to-door work) is practically a sacrament to them. Of course tyhe biblical basis for it is less than paper thin. Unfortunately too, it keeps the Witnesses from doing other, more meanigful works of mercy.

Gray Wolf

• Tesha
    Tesha

Nicolaou,

I had a similar experience! I was DF'd a year ago and to tell you the truth, my life felt completely empty. I did some research into local organisations that need volunteers, hoping it would take my mind off my family etc. IT WORKED! I contacted an organisation called Interact Rehabilitation Home Services. They provide attendant carers for people with Acquired Brain Injuries. Previously healthy people like you or I, who have been in car accidents or work related accidents. I started to visit their homes as a carer, assisting them with cleaning, shopping or just a friend when they needed one.

In all my years growing up in the truth and going into field service every weekend, I have NEVER experienced such a reward from visiting people’s homes. People who really need help. Actually, to be honest, it was they who helped me. They helped me to appreciate what is important and to really value life. They helped me to get past my negative attitude and look at the positives. I really love these people.

Nicolaou, you seem to be a very humble person and you certainly did not come across as though you were self-promoting. Rather you gave an extremely good suggestion to others.

Take good care.

Kind regards,

Tesha

• ladonna
    ladonna

Nicolaou,
    Yes, it is a real shock to be welcome isn't it??? What you have done is really worthwhile and meaningful.

I too, like others here have devoted a lot of my time to voluntary work. I am still amazed at how warmly I am welcomed.

Keep it up, enjoy living, and thankyou for sharing.
    Ana

• mike
    mike

ladonna said "it is a real shock to be welcome isn't it???"

When I started going out in service in the early seventies people were still quite welcoming on the whole.
    I think that the young publishers and pioneers of the 80's and 90's have only ever known apathy and indifference, but it wasn't always that way.

It's not necessarily the Jw's fault, people simply became switched off to sprituality though it seems to have been reborn under the 'New Age' guise.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state but certainty is a ridiculous one." --Voltaire

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Last fall, I went door to door with my daughter, who was selling
    chocolates to raise money for her school. I was shocked.

Virtually every house bought the chocolates, some bought
    two or three boxes. Everyone was happy to see us, and
    very complimentary. In no time at all we had emptied all
    three cases.

It was certainly an eye opener. As a JW, I don't think I have
    ever emptied a case - and that stuff is free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit