Deep Impact

by individual 6 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

Has anybody seen the film Deep Impact? It was about the possible destruction of the world by an asteroid and it came out at about the same time as the film Armageddon. The reason I ask is because this film had a very profound effect on me whilst I was still associating with the congregation. The point that came across to me was the reaction of people to their impending destruction. The film concentrated a lot of attention on how people responded to the distress of others and gave their lives so that others may live - these were ordinary people. It showed a completely different side to human nature from that which is portrayed in the Watchtower.

The Societys publications often show pictures of brother killing brother, people screaming, holding guns to each other, women running with babies etc, as a visual insight into what they think the human reaction would be either at Armageddon or during the Great Tribulation. I'm sure we have all seen these pictures, they are truly horrific, whoever drew these pictures looked at the worst in people.

My view now is that this is a reflection of the Societys psychology rather than how people would really react under circumstances such as shown in Deep Impact. This film made me really question the Societys viewpoint of human nature. There are a LOT of good people in the world, I'm sure that everyone reading this post would agree with that. I'm sure that the majority of us would give up that hypothetical last seat on the rescue helicopter if it meant saving the life of a mother and child. Seeing the pictures in the Societys publications I am not sure that they would.

I now know that your average man is not as inherently evil as the Society makes him out to be, they only believe that to make themselves feel better about the destruction of humanity.

• peterstride
    peterstride

You are now an individual...not part of the borg collective! An individual. You can think for yourself!

LOL Sorry...I just felt like saying that. I still remember Captain Janeway in Star Trek Voyager telling SevenOfNine about her individuallity and about making decisions for herself!

Welcome to the boards. There's a wealth of information to be digested here. :-)

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Interesting point individual! Sometimes I am still shocked by the wonderful people of this "world" that I meet. My parents always taught me that "worldly" people are all selfish, God-hating, hypocrites. Which is not true at all! I've found more spiritual and Christian-living people in the world than in any congregation I've ever been in. I've just never though about it the way you put it! Thanks for sharing!

Billygoat

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Individual:

Very insightful post. I think you're right about WTS's self-righteous view of "wordly" ppl. They always highlight the bad that ppl do. They're like the mainstream media of cults, always so quick to point out the selfishness of ppl while totally ignoring all the good the world does. A good way to get over this is to try to have normal relationships with non-cult members. then you can see for yourself the genuine goodness that most ppl have for one another. When it counts ppl will generally be there for each other.

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Talking about those hideous pictures - I remember sitting down with the children once to discuss an Armageddon scene in the 'Paradise Lost' book, pretty gruesome stuff, peoples faces screwed up in pain, others falling into cracks in the earth, thugs with guns terrorising, angry skies and toppling skyscrapers. What a lovely book to read at bedtime - just the thing to make them sleep well! And to try and explain that Granny would be amongst those in the picture because she didn't go to meetings.... Let's just say they are happier with fairy stories now.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Good point Individual. All I can say is, it would be a miracle greater than any mentioned in the bible and probably anywhere else if all the truly self-sacrificing people in the world were separated into an organization which uses fear as the primary motivation.

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• qwerty
    qwerty

Individual & Wife.

Welcome to the board, it's always great to see a new UK poster.

I couldn't agree more with your post. Thanks.

Email me if you like, please!

qwerty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit