Your First Christmas Tree?

by BrendaCloutier 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The end of 1986 I moved from my hometown of Portland Oregon to the BIG CITY of Seattle.

It was 1987 and some new friends from that summer (met sailboat racing on Puget Sound) called and said they had permits and were going Christmas Tree Hunting, did I want to come along. Yeah, of course. Should be fun!

I had celebrated Chrismases past, but never had my own tree. To be hunting my first was special.

They all found theirs. Unfortunately, they always look smaller outside when they're next to the big guys, and they had to do some real hacking to get their trees to fit in a normal living room. One friend ended up putting his in a corner, hacking the bottom and back and sides off until the trunk fit in the corner. Gawd, what an ugly tree when he was done.

Me, I found a tiny tree. When I got it home and trimmed up, it was about 4ft tall and 3-1/2 ft diameter and a perfect natural cone shape. I bought a package of glitter covered white hearts, and a roll of red plaid ribbon and tied bows. It was a really cute tree -- and this from someone who doesn't do cute!

Monday before Christmas I had a number of sailing friends over for homemade mexican dinner (Texano style shredded beef enchiladas, rice and beans and salad, and flan) and Monday Night Football in my tiny apartment. About a dozen people. I hung a few of them from the ceiling. I handed out simple gifts to everyone there. Gifts that matched who they were to me, including a nose warmer I made for a friend with a huge honker! He actually gave a belly laugh and appreciated it. He got slippers, too.

It was MY first Christmas that I put together all by myself. It was very special.

Hugs and Christmas Cheer

Brenda

• Dawn
    Dawn

What a neat story Brenda!

I remember my first x-mas too (14 yrs ago). I didn't have any x-mas ornaments and not much $$ to buy them, so my son went out and collected pine cones, then we painted the tips white and glued red bows to the top. We used these to decorate the tree - it turned out great. I look back at that first x-mas with very fond memories.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

When I told my family we were going to celebrate Christmas, my grandma gave me almost all of her ornaments and decorations, and said "welcome back":)At age 95 and 89, Grandpa and she felt that putting up all the Christmas decorations expended too much of their energy, so they kept a few and passed the rest onto us.

My grandma is so organized, most of the decorations have a little note, stating who gave the item to them, and what year they got them. I've kept the notes right with the ornaments, and enjoy reading them every year. Other folks may have more beautifuly coordinated trees, but I wouldn't trade the chance to have a huge piece of my grandparent's history (and mine) that I can treasure every year:) And best of all, was the happiness I got to see on Grandma's face when she welcomed me back to Christmas, and celebrated with my children as they discovered Christmas for the first time:)

BTW Brenda, your tree sounded really lovely. Christmas and "cute" just go together somehow;)

• bebu
    bebu
    Football in my tiny apartment. About a dozen people. I hung a few of them from the ceiling.

Whoaaa. This ain't a Christmas tradition!

bebu

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

Hi Brenda: Picking your first tree! It sounded so special. That's not what stuck my attention though. I noticed you mentioned sailing friends. Do you still go sailing alot. The reason I ask is that I grew up on sail boats. My Grandma and Grandpa had a 32 footer. We used to sail with them all the time. We would go on summer vacations on their boat. My uncles had boats as well. They both lived on their sail boats at one point or another as sailing is so much in our blood. I just took my daughter down to the docks not too long ago and showed her some nice sail boats. There was a really nice Navy blue and white one. It had a dinghy on it as well. I would guess that it was about 50 ft long. It was a nice boat. You could easily live on this one. They were restoring another boat as well. They had the fans drying it out and everything. Once sailing is in your blood, it's always there to stay. Kind of like Xmas. I celebrated it as a kid and I always missed it when we stopped. Enjoy your Xmas and your sailing journeys on the wide ocean. love RHCP. They are both a beautiful and heartwarming experience with the right people! Even alone, I find!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

RHCP

I love being on the water or by the water, but not IN the water.

I started sailing about 1981. Started racing in 83 here on the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon. Since I didn't own a boat, racing is a good fix to the sailing bug, and a good way to learn the ropes quickly. I met my sweety at a post-race gathering about Christmastime 84. We lived together 2 years before I moved to Seattle.

In Seattle I got onto a boat within a month and raced hardcore there for 7 years before I burned out. I did do some cruizin, skippered a bareboat charter a couple times for some friends, did lot's of deliveries, a few singlehanded.

Yes, it gets in your blood!

When I moved back to Portland in May 97, Kev and I rehooked up and had a "commited" relationship again by that summer. We started planning to cruise his boat doing the Mexican Pacific 1999-2000. Which we did. We were in Mexican waters for 100 days. It was a wonderful trip. Unfortunately because of my FibroMyalgia, I just cant live a sailing life. Very dissappointing to me.

Kev's boat is a Cascade 36 that he built. in 84 he had the premade hull and deck, a stack of marine plywood and bucket of resin delivered to his dad's farm. He built a home inside a tupperware bowl, and launched it in 88. He finished rigging it over the next 2 years. he did a beautiful job. The last survey, the surveyor was very impressed with her, also she's still in excellent condition. Our goal this year is to TLC her and get back to sailing on the river.... or just motoring up to Government Island for the weekend.

Where are you that you're around boats?

Hugs

Brenda

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I'm looking at my first real Christmas tree right now. I put it right by the door, so I can see it in both my living room and my bedroom/office. Last year, some of you may recall, I hung some ornaments off my big potted cactus in the kitchen; this year, I got an actual tree and gave it lights, colored balls, and gold garland. Pretty snazzy, if a bit messy. I went ahead and decorated the cactus, too, so it wouldn't get jealous.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Bebu, the one's I hung from the ceiling were goalies!

Hugs and a Merry Christmas

Bren

• wednesday
    wednesday

I got my first christmas tree this year. It is a tiny 3 ft tree, white. I bought a small one so no one could see me bring it into the house. When i told someone that recently they were shocked and appalled that anyone would have to "hide" celebrating christmas. but i have to. anyway, it is in a small bedroom and the kids love it. I am so happy i got a tree for the first itme-and my stll pro jw husband BOUGHT it for me. now i'm looking for a christmas / christmas eve sevice to go to.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My first Christmas tree is about three weeks old. We bought a 7 1/2 foot pre-lit tree. It's absolutely gorgeous, and looks great by the fireplace with gifts all around it.

It's hard to believe that this is considered sinful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit