Evil Christmas!!!!!!

by Gill 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Would you believe that I just got told off my a born again christian minister whose daughter goes to school with my daughter.

He knew that I was an ex JW and that we were celebrating christmas this year and proceeded to give me the full pagan origins thing, and people getting into debt, and it having nothing to do with Jesus birth! Then there's the people who let themselves go morally at christmas parties and drink and drive and.........etc.

I thought only JW's would dress someone down like that.

I politely nodded at him and smiled kindly at his preaching.

Aaaah! Bless him what can you do?

Any one else met such a zealous non-JW?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh yes. Many other religious people view several holidays the same way JWs do.

I just smile politely and give them my personal feeling on it.

DY

• bebu
    bebu

Well, not as rabid as the person you spoke with. But perhaps half-way there.

My son's best friend attends a veeery conservative denomination. I am not sure if they don't observe Christmas at all, but they don't have a tree, and have scorned ornaments for them as well. They look like Mennonites, but I think this is an oddball sect and not associated with the Mennonites at all. They grounded their son for asking some pointed questions about their beliefs (why is it okay to workout at the gym on Sunday, but 'unbiblical' to swim at the gym on that day?)

They are nice, well-meaning people... but I'm seeing some traits that are similar to the JWs cropping up. (Eg, insisting on following many OT laws for Israel.) At this point, the boy just wants to relax and not be always anxious about upsetting his parents or feel threatened with losing his friends.

It's driving my son crazy, too. He wants to ask a solid question to the mom (to point out that she is a non-stop gossip, and this isn't right behavior) but knows he'll be cut off from his friend for good if he does.

Their son is a really, really nice kid, too!! Unfortunately, he's already itching to turn 18.

bebu

• dorothy
    dorothy

I once heard a clip of Drew Carey going on about how Christmas had nothing to do with Jesus. Apparently it was a bit he did for the queen when he went to England. Good grief.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    I once heard a clip of Drew Carey going on about how Christmas had nothing to do with Jesus. Apparently it was a bit he did for the queen when he went to England. Good grief.

And, of course, it doesn't really have anything to do with Jesus Christ, let alone the historical Jesus. Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit