What to do with free Alaskan King Crab...

by maybesbabies 6 Replies latest jw friends

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

What to do with 10 lb.s (or so) of Alaskan King Crab (with some shrimp thrown in).

recipes by me

We are lucky in the fact that my fiancee's sister knows a "crabber" whom she babysits for. He brought back about $500.00 worth of Alaskan King Crab for my fiancee's sister. We had a similar buffet at her house several days ago, with the crabcakes and dip being served, as well as the crab and drawn butter. ( I was blessed by being allowed to be the Chef du Jour) But, tonight, my Darling and I decided to entertain an old friend, and so defrosted some shrimp we had and the crab...... :) This is how we prepared it.

~*~*~*~*~*Appetizers:*~*~*~*~*~

Asiago Crab Dip

:

1-1 1/2 c. King Crab meat

8 oz. cream cheese

8 oz. mayonnaise

4 oz. melted butter

2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice

8-10 oz. asiago cheese, finely grated

1/4 c. snipped fresh chives

1/8 c. snipped fresh dill

Mash together softened cream cheese and mayonnaise. Whisk in warm melted butter until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice. Fold in Asiago cheese. Chill for 30 minutes. Fold in fresh herbs and crab meat. Serve or chill, but remember to let sit at room temperature for 15 min.s after chilling, stirring once or twice, to retain consistency.

Serve Dip on various crackers, breads, crostini, or vegetables.

*************************************************************************************

Sauteed Prawns

:

As many large Prawns as needed

Generous amount of butter

fresh snipped chives to taste

finely minced garlic and/or shallots to taste

dash of olive oil

Clean and devein large prawns. Heat butter, garlic and/or shallots, and dash of olive oil in pan. Before garlic caramelizes, add Prawns and chives. Sautee prawns until pink. Serve immediately, with butter and chives from the pan.

************************************************************************************

Fresh crab and drawn butter

:

After removing the meat from our ten pounds of crab for our recipes below, we had a significant amount left over. Therefore, we served it fresh on a plate, in large chunks, with drawn butter, cocktail sauce if desired, and wedges of lemon and/or lime. (we chilled the meat while we cooked dinner, and served it with the drawn butter, and other appetizers, just before plating the dinner items)

~*~*~*~*~*Dinner:*~*~*~*~*~

(all recipes are approximate, I do it by sight)

Crab Cakes:

1-1/2 c. (more or less, depending on your needs) seasoned bread crumbs

1/2-1 lb. (or more) King Crab meat

1 tbsp. snipped fresh chives

1/2 tbsp. snipped fresh dill

1/4 c. finely minced red onion (the food processor works well for this)

1/2 c. finely minced red bell pepper

1 Tbsp. (or more) "Old Bay" seasoning

1 egg.

2 tbsp. milk

salt and pepper to taste, if desired

Mix All ingredients together, starting with dry ingredients, adding egg and milk last. Mix until incorporated. Form into patties and fry in oil ( I used garlic olive oil with a pat of butter ) until golden brown. Drain on small wire rack or paper towels.

******************************************************************************************

Crab Ceviche:

1/2 lb. crab meat

1/4 lb (or 4 oz can) bay shrimp

1 ripe avocado, diced

1/4 c. rough chopped red onion

1/2 c. rough chopped red and yellow bell peppers

4 tbsp. chopped cilantro

1/4 c. lemon juice

1/4 c. lime juice

salt and pepper to taste, cumin if desired

Mix together all ingredients, turn every 30 min.s for 1-2 hours.

Serve in martini, champagne, or wine glasses, with a dollop of cocktail sauce.

*******************************************************************************************

Open faced Crab Sandwiches:

Bread :

Thick slices of french bread

melted butter

garlic powder

Melt butter and brush both sides of bread. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Lightly pan toast and set aside.

Crab Mix:

8-10 oz. King Crab

2 tbsp. (or more) mayonnaise

1/4 tsp. cayennne pepper

1/4 tsp. seasoned salt

1 tbsp lemon

Cheese blend such as Pecorino Romano, Mozzarella, Asiago, Fontina, and/or Parmesan for topping.

Shrimp sauce:

1/4 c. cream of shrimp soup

1/4 c. cream (or whole milk)

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tbsp (or more) horse radish (creamy)

1 tbsp. herbes de provence (chives, parsley, and tarragon {or fresh snipped herbs, to taste})

Mix all ingredients for crab mix. Top lightly toasted bread with crab mix, sprinkle with cheese mixture. Toast in 375 degree oven until crab is warm and/or cheese is melted ( I prefer to have the cheese lightly browned). Transfer to plate, drizzle with Shrimp sauce.

*************************************************************************************

~*~*~*~*~*Dessert????*~*~*~*~*~

Evan Williams Whiskey (for the boys)

Chimay double fermented beer (made by Trappiste monks in Belgium) for the chef...ME!!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

*** Jumping up and down and frantically waving arms ***

Oh!!! Oh!!! Oh!!!

Send them to me!!! Send them to me!!!

I looooove seafood!

• Badger
    Badger

Maybes Has Crabs!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Yes Badger, Alaskan King Crabs, to be precise!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Oh my GAWD!! We saw Alaskan King Crab at Costco yesterday and it is so freakin expensive! Two of the legs was almost $10.00.

I was going to offer to take some of it off your hands, but it seems you all had a wonderful feast. Hope it was really, really yummy.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies
    Hope it was really, really yummy.

Mulan, words cannot describe. About the closest I can come is "splendiferously fantabulous", but even that falls short. It was a stroke of luck, really. Right place, right time, and all that. Still, I hope to bring something fabulous to the 'fest post X-mas.

• Mary
    Mary

Those recipes with crab and shrimp and butter sound terrible and I don't think you should subject yourself to eating such things. I will make the utra-sacrifice and eat them if you prepare it all, vacuum pack it and send it to me by courier...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit