ExJW teens: sex and drugs and alcohol

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

ExJW teens....how do we handle the sex and drug problems that come up. Not much is said here about exJW teenage pregnancies or other problems such as contraceptives and ex JW teens, or drugs and alcohol and exJW teens. Did your teenage kids have a problem with sex and drugs after you and your teens left the Watchtower? If so, how did you handle it? If not, what did you do to prevent it?

Any advice for those exJW parents who are trying to survive between a rock and a hard place?

I would appreciate any input on this. Thank you very much!!!!

Sabrina

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well my daughter is 13, but I don't see any looming problems at this point.

I generally subscribe to the notion that if the parent's ideas on sex and drugs and alcohol are in line with reality, then the children's ideas on sex and drugs and alcohol will be in line with reality.

You can't do any better than reality.

• Satanus
    Satanus

What about the rock and roll problem? I mean, it is tied in w the other three, right?

Sorry, i have no kids, so i would just be prattling on if i gave any answers to your question. I'll leave the serious answers to others who have kids.

S

• franklin J
    franklin J

I agree with sixofnine; I also have a 13 year old daughter.

We have taught her that drugs are destructive; will not offer her anything. She is not stupid; she can see for herself the affects of drug abuse. She is a very mature child; also a bright student; eager and willing to learn. Her inteligence and smarts has earned her many things. She has learned early in life the rewards of being smart and agreeable; and at such a young age is making that credo work for her.

Sex is something different. She will experiment with it whether or not her mother and I disagree with her or not. She is no different than any other human being ( myself included). At this time; the sex is not an issue with us. As a young adult, she has been instructed about birth control; and the dangers of contracting the Aids virus. The real scare these days is not pregnancy ( that we could deal with) ; but is contracting Aids; which is a death sentence. It is difficult for any teenager to realize their own mortality; much less see it curtailed by a deadly disease.

Her adult life will progress with or without my intervention; as a father I can only teach values; stop her from doing anything drastic, and offer her direction. I cannot stop her from experiencing and living her life. If she has not learned from the value system my wife and I have given her and live our lives by; at the age of 13 ,we as parents have failed in our mission as parents..

We take each issue as it comes. Where JWs would "take the issue to elders"; we would solve it ourselves;among ourselves. We have taught the children that every action of theirs will have a reaction; some good ,some bad . We have also allowed them to make some mistakes on the road to learning, they are taught that if it is a negative experience not to repeat it. Brush off your trousers and move on; we will do better next time. And we do.

My wife and I understand that we cannot "isolate" our children from everything ( such as I was as a JW child). The children learn early that not everyone is "nice"; and what is and IS NOT acceptable social behaviour; and we keep close tabs on them and are aware of who their friends are and where they are and with whom at all times. They know they can always come to us with any issue; and so far they have.

I admit that being a parent takes all youve got; but I would not have it any other way. I certainly do not want any "elder" or religious group telling me what is best for my children.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

GPT,

ExJW teens....how do we handle the sex and drug problems that come up.

One thing that i think will help,, is to be honest. Don't use scare tactics,,be truthful,,don't frighten them with images of a God that will punish you if you disobey ancient morals found in the bible. Apeal to the practical benefits,, avoid moralizing and arbitrarry catagorization. Read up on these things from sources that are not onesided,,or heavily predjudiced. And by all means take time to listen to them before you start makeing judgements.

Not much is said here about exJW teenage pregnancies or other problems such as contraceptives and ex JW teens, or drugs and alcohol and exJW teens.

I do think we have discussed these things in the past.

Raising your children with absolute moral codes is not the answer. Every situation has its own circumstances.

Any advice for those exJW parents who are trying to survive between a rock and a hard place? I would appreciate any input on this. Thank you very much!!!!
    Don't look for quick fixes,,take time to listen to your children more,,don't force your ideas on them,,realize that the crap the WT has fed you on morals is very onesided. The life we live is a learning process and your children will experiment. Try to think back to when you were thier age,,help them develope critical thinking,, be honest let them know you don't always have all the answers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit