Am i the only one lerning agan for the frist time?

by New Eyes 9 Replies latest jw friends

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

What are we to do when we need to find the truth for ourselfs?
    well I am looking into what the WT tought me about so many things like this site by the Cathloics.

I found this site can any one tell me what if any thing are lies on this site? The Cathloics are not what I thought thay were if this is what thay realy teach. I feal like i was a fool for so long.

http://www.geocities.com/kathers_60/Catholic_Churc/WhatTheRomanCx.html

• waiting
    waiting

Hello New Eyes,

Nice to meet you. I grew up as a Roman Catholic - 12 years in Catholic Schools, etc. Those nuns sure were glad to have me out of their really short hair when I finally graduated.

I began studying shortly afterwards with the jw's in the Truth book. It made sense to me - as it's designed to do. All our questions were answered about the universe tied up in a little blue book of 192 pages, the only thing missing was a pink bow.

But then slowly, over the years, each time we'd read something that didn't quite fit - we'd just stop thinking about it - such as how world history through all other historians wasn't the same as the WTBTS presented. Evolution - the same. Some science matters - just didn't match. What were we to do? We were taught that all others were wrong because the WTBTS taught The Truth (trademark) so all other books must be wrong, except for the onese they quoted - but they never gave us the information as to where they got their quotes (book title, page number, etc.) so we could confirm, or read further.

This site, and a host of others, such as Research on the Tower, Freeminds, Watchtower Observer, all have an incredible amount of information freely available. Pour a cup of coffee and just stretch your mind.

If you've been a jw - that's a new, long forgotten, experience.

Welcome here. We have a long, Hello? Hello? introduction thread going on. Lots of new people telling a little about themselves - all jw's, all unique. Please join in, if you'd like?

waiting

• chipster
    chipster

dear new eyes,

might i suggest that you take some literacy classes, or at least learn how to use spell check before you post? unfortunately, people judge us by our ability to communicate effectively, and articulate our thoughts and ideas. potentially meaningful posts are often quickly dismissed by readers, assuming the writer to be illiterate.
    just a thought. please don't take it personally.

chip

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

HI NewEyes,

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting.

I can relate to that feeling of being a 'fool for so long'... I felt that way too after I came out of the bORG but it has gradually subsided and I don't beat myself up anymore for those beliefs that now seem so ridiculous to me. I am just so glad to be FREE!!
    Are you newly out? This can be a very confusing time if that is the case but there are many folks here who, instead of focussing on grammar and spelling errors, will be happy to share their experiences and wisdom with you. Please don't let some negative comments stop you from posting here. There are many kind and warm folks on this board.

Dana

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• peterstride
    peterstride

Hey Chipster,

Go easy on New Eyes...maybe he/she's from a non-english speaking country. Since there are very few non-english web-sites that deal with the issues dealt here, and JWs have spread like a cancer around the globe...well, you figure it out. Also, if they are from a non-english speaking country, they won't have an english spell-check in their word processor, will they?

Welcome to the boards New Eyes! :-)

Your eyes will be opened by the information presented here.

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• soylibre
    soylibre

New Eyes.....there isn't a lot of difference in the structure of the Catholic Church and Jehovah's Witnesses....there are really many similarities.....if you read the book Angela's ashes by Frank McCourt...you can see the influence the Roman Catholic church had on him and his thinking....not that different from JW's....

• noidea
    noidea

Hello New Eyes,
    And welcome. You sound like you have hit a wall and woke up with those cartoon stars in circles going around in your head. I know how you feel.
    I have always just done and thought what I was told.
    We are not suppose to have independent thinking.
    The only advice I can give is for you to get another Bible translation and do allot of reading and comparing.
    Be careful about just looking for another religion. You could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
    Take some time and just read.

What are we to do when we need to find the truth for ourselves?

You have already answered your own question. You have to find it for yourself. This is a great place to release penned up emotions, thoughts and questions. If anyone steps on your toes don't let it hurt your feelings. There are so many here to help.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Chipster,

If you can speak 3 languages, you're tri-lingual.
    If you can speak 2 languages, you're bi-lingual.
    If you can speak 1 language, you're American.

Perhaps, like has been mentioned, New Eyes is bi or tri-lingual? I'm not, but I find that Kent is damned sometimes for not knowing the "flavoring" of the American slang words. However, since most Americans know zip about Norwegian or German (which he is also fluent), I think twice before I think about correcting him.

Being a man, you may not appreciate how hard of an accomplishment this is for Ms. Waiting.

Besides, we all have good/bad days with keyboards.

Nice to meet you. Generally, we try to allow a lot of freedom with spelling & punctuation around here. It's a free place.

Waiting

• chipster
    chipster

lo siento mucho...
    my apologies...didn't even take into consideration the language barrier thing...
    so sorry.
    chippy

• BugEye
    BugEye

Hello New Eyes and welcome.

I am one of those that everyone will eventually warn you about

In this world, there are many people who would impose there belief systems upon us and to be honest, many of us fell prey to many of these things for years. I was a JW for almost 30 years and during that time, I honestly felt that it was the truth.

Propaganda is easy to put out and have believed if you can control all or most input. Governments do this extremely effectively as do closed religious groups.

Just some thoughts

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit