What is "Pagan" anyways?...

by Hecklerboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Witnesses love to use the word "Pagan", but I think few really even know what the word means. I think most think of the word Pagan as referring to some Satan worshiping cult or other strange religion. They alway say they don't celebrate the holidays because of it Pagan origins. Yet they wear wedding bands and use the modern calendar, both of which are based on "Pagan" beliefs.

So what does "Pagan" really mean. Here's a quote from the dictionary:

pa·gan [ páygən ]
    noun ( plural pa·gans )
    1. follower of a less popular religion: somebody who does not follow one of the world?s main religions, especially somebody who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, and whose religion is regarded as questionable ( sometimes considered offensive )
    2. polytheist or pantheist: a follower of an ancient polytheistic or pantheistic religion
    3. heathen: somebody who has no religion ( disapproving )
    adjective
    1. of a less popular religion: believing in or relating to a religion that is not one of the world?s main religions and is regarded as questionable
    2. following polytheistic or pantheistic religion: believing in or relating to an ancient polytheistic or pantheistic religion
    3. nonreligious: having no religion ( sometimes considered offensive )
    [ 14th century. Via late Latin paganus from Latin, ?villager, civilian,? from pagus ?rural district? (source of English peasant ). ]
    pàygə nístik ] adjective
  • lonelymom
    lonelymom

Yes I noticed that as well. I also noticed that even though they don't believe in the holidays, they will certainly take the day off with pay as they rest of us do!

• Mary
    Mary

To put it in simple terms:

Pagan = anything not written and approved by the WTB&TS

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Mary--you beat me to it!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Yeah, and they will even take a Christmas bonus and take full advantage of Christmas and other holiday sales.

Seems a little hypacritical to me

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

In my experience, they hold hypocrasy in high regard!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Pagan = Anything that has a religious origin external to one's own religion.

This applies to any religion.

• Christian things are considered to be pagan by Muslem.
    • Muslem things are considered to be pagan by Christians.

This comparrison can be done with any two or more religions in existance.

It is circular reasoning. "I am right and you are wrong. I know this because you are pagan and I am not. I know you are pagan because I am right."

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

I was lucky/unlucky enough to not have any other JWs in my school until 7th grade. One activity I saw nothing wrong with was coloring the flags of different countries around the world. He, however, told the teacher that WE couldn't do it. When she asked why he said "Because it's pagan." She blinked twice.

"Pagan...Okay."

I felt like slapping that kid across the face.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The negative and all-embracing concept of "paganism" is really the shadow each kind of monotheism, or "revealed religion", casts on everything else, including its own past.

When Josiah decided that only Yhwh could be worshipped only in the Jerusalem temple, all the old sanctuaries of Canaan-Israel instantaneously and retrospectively became "pagan".

When the monotheistic exilees came back from Babylon to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple, all the "people of the land" who had not been exiled and who went on worshipping in the old Israelite fashion became "pagan".

When Christianity became the state religion of the Roman empire, all the traditional religions and rituals everywhere became "pagan".

When Islam came up, Christianity became "pagan" to the Moslems.

When Protestantism came up, most of the Catholic religion became "pagan" to the Protestants.

When the JWs came up, all Christendom became "pagan" to them.

See how it works?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos.... That was awesome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit