Anyone been in an accident before ?

by Xandria 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xandria
    Xandria

If so what was your experience with settlement of medical ?

X.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Xandria,

Funny you should ask this today since I just got a letter from my attorney today.

On October 6 of last year I was riding my Harley and heading for home. Just 3 blocks from my house someone came through a stopsign and broadsided me. The Harley was totaled and I spent two days in the trauma unit. Thankfully there were no broken bones or internal injuries.........but I still lost over a week of work and there was enough muscle damage that I couldn't walk right for over a month.

My advice is to get an attorney no matter how little physical injury you have. It has taken over a year but it looks like I should get a check in the mail soon........and even after attorney fees..........it will be more than I would have got just dealing with the other guys insurance company.

I forgot to add: As far as settlement of medical............my own medical insurance paid for everything and they are not interested in recouping it from the other guys insurance company. The only thing I have to pay out of the settlement is tha ambulance bill....$650.00 and the attorney fee.....30% This is what has taken so long. the attorney told me that he had to wait for a reply from my insurance provider to see if they wanted their money back. They never replied to him within the alloted time.......so I should get a nice check soon. (HOPEFULLY)

And by the way............the other guys insurance paid me $1,700.00 more than I paid for this classic Harley. Only problem is.........this was a custom bike with engraved chrome all over that would cost over $5,000 today just for the engraving. It was a real loss............but at least I have pictures of the bike. The guy I bought it from paid $3,000 just for the engraving back in 1985.......and $3,000 just for the paint job back then. I know this to be true because he had all the receipts for me when I bought it. Worst thing about owning a classic is that insurance carriers won't insure them for what they are worth.....only for the year that they were manufactured. Now........me being uninformed at the time........maybe there are insurance carriers who will.............for a great amount of $$ insure classic bikes.......but I did not know this at the time...........

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh sorry.............I'm rambling on...........this question was just about medical. SORRY!

Hope I have helped a little.

PM me in a week or so and I will tell you how much I got, and if I'm going to buy another Harley out of it.

HappyDad

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Even using an attorney, does not guarantee the insurance company will pay.

My son had an accident and we were insured. Insurance Co. flatly refused to pay up.

Got an attorney and this idiot only called up the ins. adjuster and asked him if they were paying.

The adjuster said no and the attorney gave me a $300.00 bill. I refused to pay and went to another attorney.

He read the insurance policy "which the first atty. did not" and says they have no choice but to pay. I go back to see him next week and he is in some sort of "rehab hospital" guess his elbow wore out.

The Attorney taking his his place proceeds with the case and All med bills are paid and another $45000.00 settlement is achieved. Damned attorney kept $15000.00.

Never did pay that jerk the $300.00 and when I told him of the settlement he quit asking.

Then he runs for state attorney general and wins. Go figure.

The theme here is DON'T GIVE UP keep pressing the issue.

Outoftheorg

• PinTail
    PinTail

I exort you all to obtain an attorney, its true insurance companys only care for they selfs.

• La Capra
    La Capra

This thread makes me eager to pass the bar... November of 2006 can't come soon enough.

Shoshana

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

I was hit by a drunk driver 6 years ago. The accident totaled my truck and ruptured three discs in my back. Get a good lawyer right away and get the bills to the insurance company immediately. My lawyer hesitated and the drunk's insurance went belly up on us. We were left with nothing but a bad back and a pile of bills.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• morty
    morty

Funny that you mention this Xandria, I was just in an accident last week and I am still recovering from it.I dont know if your insurance runs the same as ours here in Canada but, I will be watching this thread for some advice as well.( I just recently posted about my accident)

I never had a accident with another vehical but, I did smoke a HUGE deer that did an awful amount of damage to my van. We are very lucky to be alive.

So far up to date, the insurance company as somewhat worked with me. They did have a rental van to me with in 48 hours,but I did have to come up with the 500.00 dollar deposit on my credit card.( not that I can drive the damn thing yet anyways) I have not handed in any bills yet for the medications,massage therapy and ambulance yet, but they did tell me to hand them all in and they would reimburse me for the ones that I have paid for all ready.I am not to sure when I will have a new van yet either.I am going to give them about a month to get all things straigthened out, then,if I am not happy with the outcome of things, I will for sure get in touch with a lawyer and see what my rights are.From what I am understanding though, here, you have " put out of pocket" first, then, you get back what your out of pocket. I am not to sure if we will be entiled to pain and suffering yet as like I said it just happened last week and we have not even disscused anything like this with the insurance guy yet.

Hope this was a little help for you. Have you had an accident recently?

Also, anyone know if I should ask for gas money to all the appointments to specialest and doctors appointments we have had since then and going to continue to have for a while? I mean I have to start physo therapy soon and I have a 45 minute drive each way to the city for this and they figure it will be at least 6 weeks.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((Morty)))))))))

Xandria -GET AN ATTORNEY NOW. And don't say another word to anyone until you do. Been there

• Xandria
    Xandria

I have an attorney and he seems not to be doing it for us. Saturday my hubby got a summons it looks like the other side is recanting the other driver's claim that he was at fault (which he was) and now we are to go to trial.

I am so mixed on this!

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit