I'm looking for a specific Watchtower quote, please.

by formerout 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• formerout
    formerout

For any who are unaware, I am going through a custody battle with my ex-wife. Despite the fact that she stopped attending about 8 years ago and hates the JW religion, she has been encouraged by her pioneer mother to use every JW trick in the book.

I was on the www.freeminds.org site last nite, reading the "Theocratic Warfare" section. I only got about a third of the way through it and didn't find yet what I was looking for. It may be there but I haven't had time to go back to read the rest (kids with me this weekend).

I remember reading a very specific quote from a JW publication years ago that shocked me. It was an article regarding a JW parent and a non-JW parent separating and going to court for custody.

The essence of what it said (or at least what I took from it) was that since it was automatically better for the child to be with the JW parent in order for them to survive Armageddon, the JW parent should use very specific tactics to "win" the court case. I seem to remember them saying to stay calm, so that they can look better than the other parent and therefore win over the Judges. It also gave other advice.

From what I can remember about what was going on in my life was that it may have been about 1993-1995. When I go to court next Friday, if things aren't going well, (although my ex has done enough crazy stuff that I shouldn't need it) I would like to have that quote or a similar one as a last resort to let the Judge see how morally different we are as to who she can believe more.

The reason it shocked me years ago (as I was leaving the borg), was that I still found it hard to believe that they said NOTHING about who was the better parent for the kids in everyday life... naive I know.....lol. Since they feel that they should play God with our kids, I would gladly play Ghandi in order to make it even.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brad

• Quotes
    Quotes

Brad,

I have some stuff on "Thocratic Warfare (i.e. how/when to lie):
    http://quotes.watchtower.ca/lie.htm

I don't think that has the one you want, though.

Now, there is a document called "Preparing for child custody cases". I think I have it at my home office, but I won't be there until next Wed or Thursday.

Tell you what: send me an email (http://quotes.watchtower.ca/admin-contact-us.htm) and remind me of this thread and if I have the document I will send it to you via return email.

~Quotes, of the "Anti-Theocratic Warfare" class

• formerout
    formerout

BTTT

• sandy
    sandy

formerout, did you ask blondie for help?

She always has the answers.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w86 11/1 pp. 28-29 Family Problems Solved by Bible Counsel ***

What if it is the Christian parent who has only visitation rights? When the child is no longer in the Christian home, that parent has limited spiritual control over the child. (1 Corinthians 7:14) For instance, the faithful patriarch Abraham would likely have insisted that his son Ishmael, like Isaac, marry a fellow worshiper. But after Ishmael, still a teenager, and his mother Hagar were dismissed from the household, Abraham was unable to prevent Hagar from arranging for Ishmael to marry an Egyptian who evidently was not a worshiper of Jehovah.?Genesis 21:14, 21; 24:1-4.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, I try...

http://www.freeminds.org/legal/magnani.htm

Jehovah's Witnesses,

Child custody and Expert Testimony

"I believe Jehovah's Witnesses are probably responsible for half of the contested custody cases that are in courts of review around the country." - Jeff Atkinson, former chairman, American Bar Association Custody Committee.

Religion is a touchy subject in a court of law. This is especially so when dealing with child custody cases. Oftentimes, the legal profession is at a disadvantage when religion plays a major role in custody cases.

The most difficult custody cases often involve the religion called "Jehovah's Witnesses," who distribute literature for the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, and pattern their lives according to its strict rules. Most times one's mate is a staunch Jehovah's Witness and wishes to bring up the children according to the dictates of this religion. The other mate is equally determined to have the children raised without the influence of this group.

Since the best interests of the children are the concern of the court, testimony is required concerning the lifestyle of Jehovah's Witnesses. Mr. Duane Magnani has consulted on over one hundred and twenty five child custody disputes (most since 1993), having been qualified primarily by the extent of his knowledge of the religion known as Jehovah's Witnesses. Additionally, he has consulted on cases involving blood transfusion litigation (being retained by the legal firm representing the hospital) as well as insurance and criminal issues.

Specifically, Mr. Magnani has been qualified as an expert witness on the beliefs and practices of Jehovah's Witnesses, and in a number of cases on the emotional impact of these on the child. He has testified in numerous cases in the United States of America, most since 1996. Additionally, he has attended many depositions involving custody issues. He is the Director of Comparative Religion Research with Witness Inc. of Clayton, CA, since 1975. His research specializes in the sociological, historical and doctrinal teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Magnani has extensive personal experience with the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses, having lived the lifestyle of a child of Jehovah's Witness parents from age 5 to 16 (1952-1964) and as an adult in the year of 1974. Much of what he testifies to in court, he has personally experienced. He holds that the lifestyle and value structure imposed upon children by the Jehovah's Witnesses is emotionally abusive and may be physically detrimental to the children.

Duane Magnani is the author of over thirty published books and manuals, researcher for the three most popular videos, and writer for numerous shorter studies on the subject of Jehovah's Witnesses--from the sociological, historical and doctrinal perspectives. Of particular interest to the court, he has authored three extensive studies on the lifestyle of Jehovah's Witnesses and their children. Included are three books specifically on the topic of Jehovah's Witnesses' children, two of which involve their lifestyle and involvement in custody cases. One of these books is entitled Refutation of Preparing for Child Custody Cases. This book was in response to the strategy manual, Preparing for Child Custody Cases, written by attorneys for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, the headquarters for the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. That manual was produced to contradict Magnani's own court testimony.

Since leaving the religion in 1974, Magnani has interviewed approximately 1,500 Jehovah's Witnesses and former Jehovah's Witnesses who have added to his knowledge of their beliefs and practices. The leading countercult and research organizations recognize his writings as documentary evidence on the lifestyle of Jehovah's Witnesses. He has been interviewed as an expert on the subject of the lifestyle of Jehovah's Witnesses on over 200 occasions by various national print, radio and television media, including the largest television news programs in the United States ("60 Minutes") and Canada ("The Fifth Estate"). One of his cases (Dodd v. Dodd, 1990) involving the issue of Jehovah's Witnesses and child custody, was filmed for "Court TV", a nationwide production of American Lawyer magazine. In the 1990's, almost all of these cases have seen victory for the non-Witness parent, which include restrictions on the lifestyle effects of JW indoctrination upon the children.

Duane Magnani can be contacted at:

Tel: (925) 672-7116 Email: [email protected]
    P.O. Box 597, Clayton, CA 94517

• blondie
    blondie

This booklet, called "Preparing For Child Custody Cases" is intended for use by the elders who control the congregation, to coach their people, including young children, who are to go to court regarding child custody.

(Online version of this booklet is available at: http://www.freeminds.org/legal/custody.htm )

• blondie
  • blondie
    blondie

*** g97 12/8 pp. 9-10 Child Custody?A Balanced View ***

Reasonableness

The best interests of the child are the key issue. If a parent is overly demanding, he may lose custody and even find his visitation privileges restricted. The wise parent conducts himself in a peaceable manner, keeping in mind the Bible counsel: "Return evil for evil to no one. . . . Yield place to the wrath . . . Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good." (Romans 12:17-21) Whether in court, in a lawyer?s office, or with a child-custody evaluator, parents need to "let [their] reasonableness become known to all men."?Philippians 4:5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit