Thanks for such a warm welcome

by AloneinOh 8 Replies latest jw friends

• AloneinOh
    AloneinOh

Wow! It's really encouraging to find such warm hearted people so willing to welcome a new guy.

All of your kind words have made a difference already. I have been reading hundreds of posts and I never imagined that there were so many others out there going through or have gone through the same thing.

I think you all are right about talking to my parents. They live 1000 miles away so we only speak about once a year when they come back to see other relatives. This will give me plenty of time to get my head together as well as all of the facts. My dad is fairly intelligent so if things are handled just right, he'll be compelled to find out on his own. I would really like to send them a copy of one of them old watchtower Christmas cards.....along with everyone else I know.

Hmmm.....I think I'm starting to feel a little of that anger you are talking about. Maybe I'll get out the playstation and put in Grand Theft Auto. I can walk around beating up on people and pretend they are the GB!

I dug out my old books today. Everything from back in the 70s. I even still have my Listening to the Great Teacher book...you know....the cute little pink one.(gag) Can't find my Paradise book....I know it's around here somewhere.

oh yeah...Im midway between Columbus and Cleveland.

Thanks again for all of the support.....if ya' don't mind, I'd kinda like to stick around a while.

• under74
    under74

"..if ya' don't mind, I'd kinda like to stick around a while"

Who would mind? Glad you're here.

Ahh, The Great Teacher Book I remember holding that book for hours bored out of my mind acting like I was reading it....

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Welcome, Alone!!! Guess what? You're not "Alone" anymore!!!

Terri

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

welcome again!

i actually loved my great teacher book.. i remember the chapters being in the magazines before they were in the book and i'd run to check the mail every day to see if we got a new one.

i was just learning how to read and it was really easy reading.

the paradise book pictures scared me as a child. had nightmares from it.

• exdub
    exdub

talk about being bored while pretending to read. I used to say the alphabet backwards whenever we used to have to pray. Now I have a unique party trick of being able say it in under 5 secs

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Glad you've decided to stick around. :) I had a friend who lived in mid-Ohio. Last I heard, he was still a JW. I wish he wasn't. I'm considering sending him a letter. He lived in the Mansfield area.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Welcome. The more the merrier!

I was surprised at how many were on this board when I first signed up. I even found several ex-JW's in my own area that I've been in contact with.

I think everyone is a lot more supportive then other places because most know what it's like to be shunned for thinking differently, independantly, and will do a lot to help you through it all.

Good luck with your dad. My mom is intelligent too, but as soon as you say anything anti-JW, an aposta-wall goes up. End of discussion. It's part of the training.

Kwin

• under74
    under74

"talk about being bored while pretending to read. I used to say the alphabet backwards whenever we used to have to pray. Now I have a unique party trick of being able say it in under 5 secs"

HA lol! I never tried that one, I'd just think about The Facts of Life or some other TV show.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM exdub

• exdub
    exdub

Thanks under74.

I left the JW's almost 10 year ago when I was 16. I was a "bad influence" on all the other young ones. I didn't actually do anything but got the blame for pretty much anything the others did as they were all elders children. I was actually glad to take the blame for a lot of it as it meant they would leave me alone. However my mother stayed faithful but luckily not fanatical like some. She left the JW's 2 months ago. Only my brother is still in. I finally feel that since my mum has left that I don't have to feel guilty anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit