Did 60 Minutes do a show on Jehovahs' Witnesses?

by Preston 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Preston
    Preston

I read a statement in the Watchtower that 60 minutes did a report on Jehovah's Witnesses. Does anyone know about this?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Yup. Was back in 1990 or 1991, as I recall. Don't remember much about the program. I recall two things: one, they focused on the Society's accumulated wealth and real estate holdings in Brooklyn, and two, at the end of the piece, they showed a Witness woman at a door and her young son stared into the camera with this gigantic frown like he'd rather be at school!

• LDH
    LDH

I remember it being much hearlier, in the 80's when Ray Franz left. The segment was called 'Cracks in the Watchtower.'

They assigned Leslie Stahl to cover it. My mother's remark? Of course, a Jew would do anything to slander Jehovah's true people!

Lisa

• Seeker
    Seeker

The early 90s 60 Minutes piece I recall had to do with child-custody hearings, and how the WTS would provide legal counsel free of charge to JWs in their attempts to get custody away from their worldly ex-spouses.

• Jim Lad
    Jim Lad

I heard there was one on 5th Estate (Canadian 60 minutes) a guy I knew quit studying when he saw it and I was always curious to know what it was about. Anyone know?

• bijou
    bijou
    I heard there was one on 5th Estate (Canadian 60 minutes) a guy I knew quit studying when he saw it and I was always curious to know what it was
    about. Anyone know?

Jim, I saw the 5th Estate report on JWs in the spring of 1994. I'm not sure if that was a repeat or if that is when it was taped. During the show they interviewed various witnesses and ex-witnesses. I recall one young girl that spoke about her judicial committee and the probing, intimate questions the elders asked her (she had gone to them willingly to confess). Another woman's child was abducted by her JW husband and brought to another country. I don't know the details, but the child was only returned years later. They interviewed the girl about being taught that her mother was bad and that she would die at armageddon, etc. They followed some families out in service and interviewed them. They interviewed "apostates" as well.

I was also studying when that episode aired. My husband watched it with me and was absolutely disgusted with the witnesses. Up until that time, he had been fairly easy going about my involvement.

• NikL
    NikL

Jim,
    I have that episode of the 5th estate on video. I could maybe arrange for you to get a copy if you are interested.
    Nick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit