I wonder......

by Alwayshere 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

how JWs would explain why they believe Josiah ruled from 659-629 and they believe the Battle of Carchemise was in 625?According to the Bible, Josiah was killed at that battle.2Ch.35:20-24.They have him dead 4 years before.Of course their dates are wrong.History says Josiah ruled 640-609.Jehoiakim was the next King in 609 and 11 years later Zedekiah ruled 598 and 11 years later 587 Jerusalem was desolated.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Alwayshere,

King Josiah wasn't killed at Carchemish. I think, without looking it up, the verse says something about Josiah going out to meet Pharoah Necho in battle. Carchemish (605) was between the Egyptians and the Babylonians, which the Babylonians won.

Josiah's last year was 609. The Cambridge Ancient History guesses that he tried to block the Egyptian army at Megiddo, as they were allies of Assyria against Babylon. Josiah didn't want the Egyptians 'propping up' the ailing Assyrian Empire, which was completely destroyed later that same year.

So the JWs, although 20 years out, would have no trouble defending the death of Josiah 4 years before Carchemish.

CF.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

CF, did you read 2chronicles 35:23-24? It shows he did die at the battle.Maybe I am not understanding it. I will do some more studing.Thanks for the reply.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Cf,Just hit me what you said and you are right. my mistake.Thanks for letting me know.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

CF, 2 Chroniicles:35:20 shows Ne'cho came to fight at Carchemish and Josiah went out to meet him. So this, according to the Society would be 625 so what I was thinking is,Josiah could not have been there in 625 if he died in 629.Like you said and History says, they are 20 years off on their dates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit