"Saved" the movie, does it remind you of any OTHER organizations?

by gaiagirl 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I just watched "Saved" with Mandy Moore and Makauley Culkin, about some kids in a so called "Christian" high school. Some of the kids are very, very zealous, others quieter, others openly rebellious. As the story unfolds, it becomes apparant who those are who are actually observing the teachings of Jesus, and who are just giving lip service.
    The film had some very funny moments, and I couldn't help but think to myself, over and over, "yep, been there, seen that".

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

I didn't care for the movie. The triangle with the gay boyfriend, pregnant girl, and minister's son wasn't believable. What did the Jewish girl expect going to a private, religios school other than to subject herself to non-stop preaching? So I didn't feel sorry for her. She was quite nasty to Mandy Moore's character, who was only doing what she thought was right until she couldn't take it anymore and did something very human to absolve the problem. So overall, I just didn't buy it, although I do agree there were similarities.

Plus, and this is ironic coming from an atheist, it was rife with the same anti-religious cliches that have been around for ages: everyone's a hypocrite, the "heathens" are all good people, Christianity and homosexuality don't conflict, etc. That's every bit as slanted as the black-and-white worldview the writers were trying so hard to satirize.

• karategirl
    karategirl

That's the whole point Mungo. They are the same themes because quite often in organized religion these are the things that happen.

I laughed hysterically. Yeah it was an exaggeration in that most likely each problem existed by itself and not all at once to one girl and her peers. Oh and the jewish chick said she had been kicked out of all the Jewish private schools and it was there or military I believe so she went there.

I happened to know two men that struggled with the whole gay thing and went through the same problems. Even dating girls and trying to figure it out by fornicating. In the end one left the org to live with his secret boyfriend. The other stayed in and never left home and stuffed his face until he was just as obese as his mother. My best JW friend from high school finally left after living in an abusive family her whole life, being sexually abused and being looked down upon by the dubs because she wasn't spiritual enough and was white trash. She finally began pioneering and still wasn't accepted. So her and her pioneer buddy left the org together and now are lesbian lovers. Trust me the extremes do happen.

All Christians sin and make mistakes. It takes a true Christian to admit it, learn from it, and move on. Those that obsess over their works and remind everyone how good and angelic they are all the time only go through the motions because their faith really isn't that deep. Which is why they are capable of intentionally malicious behavior such as Mandy Moore's character.

• Quotes
    Quotes

I saw it at the theatre months ago, and Laughed My Ass Off!!!

True, upon close inspection, the concept was unlikely and somewhat trite. But then again, some episodes of Seinfeld are unlikely, and they leave me in stitches too!

~Quotes, of the "Vandaly Industries" class

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I suppose what I found most interesting was the attitude of conformity which seemed to permeate the school, and initially, the lives of most of the characters, which reminded me so much of the people I knew when active as a JW. Basically, the mindset seems to be something along the lines of "God wants all of you to act and think alike. Follow our example and you will be happy". By the end of the movie, however, the main character asked the question "If God wants us to all be alike, why did he make us all so different?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit