Damageplan Guitarist Killed

by lisavegas420 2 Replies latest social current

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/damageplan_guitarist_killed.html?200412090533

Damageplan / Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell is dead following a bizarre shooting during a Damageplan concert in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday night. As a result of the incident, happened just after 10pm, five people including Dimebag were killed and two people were injured.

One witness said that a man jumped onto the stage during the first song of the group's set and began firing a gun. The gunman fired several shots at the band before being tackled by club security. One of the survivors is in critical condition at a local hospital, while another is in fair condition. Several others were treated at the scene, suffering from various injuries.

Dimebag Darrell, real name Darrell Lance Abbott, formed the legendary heavy metal group Pantera in 1982 with his brother Vinnie Paul on drums and bassist Rex Smith. Vinnie is also a member of Damageplan. Their glam metal days changed in 1990 with their major label debut (5th album in total and 2nd with new singer Phil Anselmo). 'Cowboys From Hell' spurred the sound that would change the shape of modern metal.

Pantera disbanded in 2003, years after they had released any new material. Soon after the demise of Pantera, Dimebag and his brother formed the more nu-metal focused Damageplan (that still featured Dimebag's signature guitar tone).

As news of Dimebag's bizarre and tragic demise rippled through the metal community, the news was met with shock and sadness -- reports MTV.

"I'm speechless," former Rob Zombie / Ozzy Osbourne bassist Rob "Blasko" Nicholson said. "This is totally unreal. Dimebag is a fucking legend and this is total bullshit."

"This is insane and this is beyond travesty," Killswitch Engage frontman and former Damageplan tour partner Howard Jones said. "This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend."

RIP Dimebag Darrell.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Un-Real! WTF security is getting really lax. I told my husband this, he used to do events with several groups including Pantera. It is a shock and sad.. . They played OzzFest alot. It is totally unsensible and now we will never know why.

A man walked onstage in a crowded nightclub during a rock concert and opened fire, killing at least four people and wounding at least two others before he was shot to death by police.

Members of the heavy metal band Damageplan had just begun their first song Wednesday night at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire on the band, initially shooting the guitarist, who went by the name "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott, witnesses said.

According to the band's Web site, the guitarist and another member are formerly of the heavy metal band Pantera.

The gunman opened fire on band members, killing four people and wounding at least two others.

• avishai
    avishai

Dammit!!!! I used to work security too. That sux so damn bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit