Gilead a University?...

by Axelspeed 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

In another post it was mentioned how the wt has no infrastructure (ie universities, hospitals, etc.) They will be forced into some sort of mainstreaming or continue to be a revolving door of shrinking numbers, especially with the net. True they are expanding the brick and morter realestate empire, but at some point you have to invest in the human capital and give people a reason to stay, especially kids.

Do you think that it would be in their long term interest to consider transforming Gilead/ Patterson into a full fleged university at some point, open to all jws? Do you think they would even consider something like that, and maybe push for some short term missionary commitment after graduation? The kids - even some jw adults - are already opting for college out of reality/ necessity. Just something I was thinking about.

Axelspeed

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I don't think it could ever get accredited. They would have to teach "worldly subjects" and someone might discover that 607b.c.e is wrong.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Gilead is a reward for the elite. I highly doubt they would or could ever make it into a proper seminary school. Who would even teach it? An accredited school needs accredited teachers doesn't it? I don't see a whole lot of those floating around among the JW upper levels...

• willyloman
    willyloman

I used to think so. Not now. JWs are highly insular. You take away "us against them" and what have you got? They'd die without this manufactured conflict.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

At a 'normal' university the qualification you is recognised by society in general, i.e. it assists you in getting employment and in progressing your career and life in general.

Gilead will never be like that - it exists only to further the interests of the society. I know a Gilead graduate who was discarded in old age and later disfellowshipped for alcoholism, which he turned to in an attempt to cope with his problems.

Eyelslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit