UK pub rules?

by Moxy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

was at a gathering yesterday where i was told about a sister from here in canada who had visited the UK and asked to go to a 'pub' just to see an authentic english pub. the brothers apparently were shocked at her suggestion since UK JWs do not go to pubs. it would be equivalent to a north american going to a niteclub. now this was second hand so i didnt put much stock in this story and immediately said so (perhaps more strongly than i ought to have.) Is there some truth to this though or did our sister friend just end up in a really stodgy area?

mox

• Englishman
    Englishman

Moxy,

When my father first became a JW back in the 50's, he quickly realised that the witnesses were split approximately 50 / 50 re as to whether it was OK for a dub to be in a pub. However, back then, this would have been reasonably representative of society as a whole.

Many witnesses who come from a Baptist or Methodist background frown on pubs simply because that is how they have been brought up.

I frequently encounter JW's in my local pub, and I have to say that these dubs, some of whom are elders, are less condemning generally than you would expect. Also, pub-dubs do not inform the non-pub-dubs of their liking for the English pub, so as not to be a cause for stumbling.

A point worth noting is that a British pub is nothing like a drinkers bar. Pub is an abbreviation for "Public house". Just as France has it's "Cafe culture", so we British have our Pub culture. A pub is usually a social center, if you want to drink so much that the Landlord refuses to serve you, thats a shame. Many people, women in particular, will spend an hour or two in a pub and just drink orange juice or maybe a spritzer. Many pubs such as my own have regular social activities. For example, tonight at 9 we will attend the pub quiz. Informally gathered teams of 4 will compete for a modest prize. Friday night is darts night / skittles night where we play in league's, over a 9 month season.

The wonderful thing about a pub is that it gives you space. If you are not happy with a conversation you simply visit the loo, and by the time you get back, the person is talking to someone else. There's other benefits too, take for example, my upcoming barbecue next Sunday. It starts around 3 pm, so, at about 1pm, people will arrive at my local pub, The Waverley. By 3pm we have a ready made party! Everyone will have met, have had a couple of unfreezers and walked the 200 yards to my home. Instant atmosphere!

Pubs are great for people who have just moved into an area and dont know anyone. Although the old British reserve may deter the local from being too friendly, once it is realsed that these people seem quite pleasant then they will receive a welcome if somewhat belated.

My Dad used to hold his committee meetings in the snug of "The Load of Hay" in Feltham, London, and he also reckoned that he could acheive his monthly hours quota just by discussing theological stuff with the locals afterwards.

I might not now agree with much of what he believed, but in the matter of pubs he was spot on!

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• fodeja
    fodeja

Englishman,

is a "Spritzer" the same as it is in Austria: wine (usually white) plus soda water? I've never heard that word anywhere outside of Austria before, even less in England...

A point worth noting is that a British pub is nothing like a drinkers bar.

During my stays in the USA and Canada I've often missed the equivalent of a Pub or a Beisl/Wirtshaus (which is the Austrian/Southern German equivalent of the Pub, of course with slight differences). It's just not the same as a "bar", and definitely not a "restaurant" or a "club". Hmm...I sense a market niche there!

f., who loves cultural studies connected to drinking ;)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Fodeja,

Yup, bang on! Her Ladyship enjoys a spritzer as an alternative to her normal Famouse grouse with ice.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• larc
    larc

Where I live, in the midwest of the good old U.S. of A., we have diffent kinds of bars. The closest thing to a pub is what I would call "an old fashioned neighborhood bar" People of all ages and both genders go there. There are social activities and an occaional meal served buffet style celebrating someone's birthday or retirement, along with holiday celebrations. Everyone brings their favorite dish. Women feel comfortable because they know everybody their and no one gives them a hard time. Yes we do have a counter part to the English pub, they are hard to find in some areas.

• TR
    TR

Pubs are generally known as "taverns" here in the U.S. In my opinion, most taverns are places where people who drink too much go. There are a few taverns that have activities such as darts and video games.

"Night clubs" are generally places that have live music and dancing. Most night clubs in my area are for the young crowd just out of high school. Although I like most of the music of the younger crowd, the "meat market" atmosphere and youthful "indescretions" turn me off. There are a few nightclubs with live music for the 30+ crowd, this is the type I would go to for good music and dancing.

In restaurants there is generally a separate section called a "bar". They are usually of much higher class than a tavern. This is one of a few places I feel comfortable having a drink in, which is rare because even a tiny bit of alcohol gives me severe headaches. I have to pop some ibuprofen if I want to have a drink with friends.

There are places called "Sports Bars" that are generally large spacious areas with several activities, lunch, snacks, pool or dart tournaments etc. They are usually clean comfortable and respectable places to go to.

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• fodeja
    fodeja
    Yup, bang on! Her Ladyship enjoys a spritzer as an alternative to her normal Famouse grouse with ice.

And I used to think that drinking scotch with ice is a capital offence in Britain...?!

BTW, the canonical, Viennese form of Spritzer is, of course, "G'spritzter". Now let's hear you pronounce that :-)

f.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Fodeja:

And I used to think that drinking scotch with ice is a capital offence in Britain...?!

Drinking a blend with ice is perfectly acceptable. Drinking a single malt with ice will get you 30 years in the tower (of London, not the WT).

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit