True Murder Mystery..unbelievable!

by Special K 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

A crown attorney friend of mine sent me this the other day.

Here goes the story:

When some things are meant to be..they're really meant to be!

Not even "Law and Order"(the T.V. Show) would attempt to capture this mess. This is an unbelievable twist of fate!!!

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS, President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story"

On March 23, 1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus, and concluded that he died from a gunshot wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to this effect indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window, which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the deceased was aware that a safety net had been installed just below the eigth floor level to protect some building workers, and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

"Ordinarily," Dr.. Mills continued, "Someone who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide. "That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands

The room on the ninth floor, where the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigoursly, and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife, and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr Opus.

When one intends to kill subject "A" but kills subject "B" in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject "B". When confronted with the murder charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant, and both said that they thought the shotgun was not loaded. The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore, the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is assuming the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot this mother.

Since the loader of the gun was aware of this, he was guilty of the murder even though he didn't actually pull the trigger. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist...

Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten-story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast through a ninth story window. The son Ronald Opus, had actually murdered himself. So the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

A true story from the associated Press, (Reported by Kurt Westervelt)

Certainly sounds like an episode of CSI (Crime scene Investigation) T.V. show to me. I cannot verify its authenticity but wow..what a twist of fate.

Special K

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

From snopes.com....

This

A story this good should be true. Alas, it's not. There never was a suicidal Ronald Opus, a feuding, shotgun-wielding older couple, or an increasingly confused medical examiner trying to get to the bottom of things. But there is some truth to it, for there is a Don Harper Mills, and he did tell this very story at a meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

Here's how Mills explained his involvement with the story in a 1997 interview:

I made up the story in 1987 to present at the meeting, for entertainment and to illustrate how if you alter a few small facts you greatly alter the legal consequences. In 1994 someone copied it on to the Internet. I was told it had already garnered 200,000 enquiries on the Net. In the past two years I've had around 400 telephone calls about it - librarians, journalists, law students, even law professors wanting to incorporate it into text books.

It was hypothetical; just a story made up to illustrate a point. It's hard to imagine anyone at that 1987 meeting took it for anything else.

How did a 1987 illustrative anecdote morph into 1994's believed-to-be-true story? We'll likely never know. How did Dr. Mills come to concoct such a tale? As he said in a 1997 interview, "Some of it I wrote out, and some of it I invented as I went along."

Ronald Opus never lived. And his death will never die.

In 1998 we began seeing versions attributed "A true story from Associated Press, by Kurt Westervelt." If that venerable wire service employs a writer by that name, we've yet to see anything under his byline. As for AP itself having run the Opus story, no, it never did.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

And now, the rest of the story......

As it turns out, many years previously, Ronald Opus had had an affair with his mother, resulting in her becoming pregnant. The child turned out to be none other than Ronald Opus himself. Therefore, he was his own father. And since he not only loaded the gun, fired it, and sustained the gunshot wound, he had indeed killed himself. Ah, yes, truth is stranger than fiction.

• Special K
    Special K

Hey mega.. I knew someone would do that scope thingy. thanks.

but as I said: Certainly sounds like an episode of CSI (Crime scene Investigation) T.V. show to me

and running Man.. LOL hahahahaa

you have just turned it into a bizarre murder mystery SOAP. Great Job. hahahahahaha

Special K

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

That would have been one heck of a story. CSI should go after him to be a writer.

Kwin

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    As it turns out, many years previously, Ronald Opus had had an affair with his mother, resulting in her becoming pregnant. The child turned out to be none other than Ronald Opus himself. Therefore, he was his own father. And since he not only loaded the gun, fired it, and sustained the gunshot wound, he had indeed killed himself. Ah, yes, truth is stranger than fiction.

LOL LOL LOL

Good one!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I read this story years ago, and although hypothetical, the wanna-be Forensic Scientist in me likes it .

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

The movie "Magnolia" has a recreation of this very UL, as well as the one about the scuba diver found in the middle of a forest fire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit