Christmas Family Reunion Tarnished by the Borg

by karategirl 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• karategirl
    karategirl

My mother died from breast cancer less than a year after my high school graduation. right before her illness she had finally left my abusive step-father and was close to seeing the light about the borg. Then she got sick and the elders told her she needed to return to her husband or be out of Jah's favor. Facing death and wanting to believe inthe resurrection, she reluctantly went back and then it was like she couldn't take it anymore. She gave up and let herself die. What should have taken six months took six weeks. She finally died actually from loss of blood, refusing a transfusion of course.

My step father had kicked me and my two sisters out of the house as we graduated and tried to say that we were rebellious horrible children. We were the only ones of our friends that never got in trouble or lived a double life. My eldest sister was a pioneer for christ's sake. Anyway, on mom's deathbed he apologized to us and told us he knew the abuse and horrible home life we had was all his fault and he was sorry. we forgave him wanting some closure and that was that. He took my little brother and sister, 5 and 10 years old and went on his merry way.

Within six months of her death I was df'd and one of my sister's was da'd. Neither one of us received any counseling or was even asked if we were repentant. The elders decided on their own and weren't taking no for an answer. Shortly after this my step father remarried and moved cross country with my brother and sister and I never heard from them again for eight years. I tried to keep contact for awhile but he moved a lot, just as he had when we were at home, running from his reputation and trying to hide his abusive ways. Found out he never gave them our messages or letters but told them they could talk to us if they wanted. So it looked to them that we didn't want to have anything to do with them which was completely wrong. In the mean time he never spoke of our mother to them and if we were mentioned it was to say how horrible we were as children and how he tried so hard to correct us and to no avail. Basically we were demon influenced sinners now that we were worldly. His new wife was never a mother to them and he had a couple of them over the years. You see they each left him and the borg because they couldn't take his abuse. One was even my age, yuck!!!

Finally, my brother left when he was 19 and called me to invite me to his wedding. It has been a slow and sparse relationship but we still talk for the last three years. He is now going to move by me this summer and attend college. Hope this means our relationship will grow stronger. My eldest sister finally left the borg around the same time my brother did. My youngest sister is still in but unbaptized. A year ago all she could think about was getting away from her father and getting out. We even looked into gettting her emancipated.

We were all supposed to be together this xmas for the first time in 12 years, all five of us. Now the youngest is going back to meetings even though she is away from her father and living with one of her former step moms(step dad is df'd after his last marriage failure and still wouldn't let one of my sisters take her). Can you believe him? That he can still be that cruel to not let her come to one of us. The step mom isn't even in the borg anymore! So she is going back because she is lonely. She is so smart and has so much potential for her future. Anyway the JWs told her that she shouldn't come because we are all apostates and celebrating xmas. I haven't seen my sister in 11 years!!!

I left her a message tonight and want to talk to her but not sure how hard to press or what to say. I am devastated and at a loss of what to do.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Wow. I'd say one measly Christmas is the least of your problems. I'm sorry to hear all you went through.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Families - the "Borg" - gawd, there just seems no end to the insanity heaped upon innocent children.

granny

• acsot
    acsot

I'm sorry to hear about the craziness going on in your family of origin. The Watchtower should take out a patent on how to be cruel to your loved ones .

Maybe you could tell your sister that you just want to have a family reunion, and the Christmas season is when everyone has time off of work and school. For the sake of seeing her again, you could forego Christmas decorations and a tree and such, at least for this year. Or meet on some neutral territory, a restaurant or something. If she could only see you and realize that you are not some horrible, evil person, but rather that you offer unconditional love to her, it may help her see reality more clearly. Let her know your door is always open to her. She's undoubtedly got huge issues about being accepted and belonging somewhere, and mistakenly feels the borg is the answer.

I feel for you.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I agree with Ascot. I hope she'll come see you this month, just for the sake of reuniting.
    They have such a way of dragging people down who just want to belong to someone/something. Hopefully, one day, she will realize that blood can be thicker than the borg.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry to hear of your family troubles Karategirl. and BTW welcome to the board..I guess though that if your sister really wants to obey the direction of the congo, she will have to chose to not come. even to visit one d/fd or d/a'd person at any time is a serious sin in their eyes...Rotten is'nt it

• karategirl
    karategirl

Thanks guys. It just tears me up so because not only did the borg make my mom's life and ours a living hell but it allowed my poor sister to grow up without any love. She was five when my mom died. I was 19, I had her my whole childhood. She had to live her childhood with makeshift unattached mothers and an abusive father. My brother was with her but he isn't mom.

She won't even answer my phone calls now. Well, the rest of us are going to have a good time and enjoy every minute of it.

KG

• karategirl
    karategirl

I am so happy. Before I left to visit my sisters, it had come down to only three of us confirming attendance to the reunion. We were all very excited but also disappointed that my brother and youngest sister, the one still in the borg, weren't goign to make it. My lil' sis gave the excuse that she had to work. Me and my eldest sister were thinking it was an excuse because the dubs were pressuring her to not come. Well my daughter and I arrived and were elated to see my sister and her husband and son at the airport. However our middle sister had not arrived nor had anyone heard from her. We were concerned and confused. Two days later she calls to say she is on her way and will see us in five hours. It was really odd. She gets there and comes in and we all hug and cry in the foyer (it has been three years since I saw her). Then she says, "Oh by the way, I have a surprise for you guys." She opens the front door and standing on the porch is my lil' sis. I screamed and jumped up and down and clutched her until she was almost gasping for breath. And she is all grown up. It was so wonderful yet heart wrenching. The last time I saw her she was 7. She is now 17. She is a woman and she is beautiful. My mother's likeness is so apparent in her features. My brother didn't make it but us four sisters had a blast. It was awesome. Fortunately, my lil' sis does not want to get baptized and is making plans for her future that does not involve the borg. She still hasn't come to the conclusion that it isn't the truth but she does realize she will not be able to do anything for herself if she stays in. We hope she will move in with one of us after graduation. Wish I could post pics but I have to protect two of my sisters identities. It was beautiful and a dream come true. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Oh KG, that brought tears to my eyes!!! i am so happy you got to see your little sister! My sister Xandria (on this board) and I haven't seen each other in 10 years also, though we hooked up again online about a year ago. For years I was told that she was a liar, to not believe a word she said, and that she just wanted to hurt me. I believed that for a long time. Now, we've worked through it all, and have a great relationship. She will be coming to my wedding in May!!!! I am so happy for you!

Tamar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit