Daughter being shunned by cousin - should I address it with parents?

by confusedjw 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

My daughter is being shunned by her cousin (2nd cousin to be technical) at school. She is 8 her cousin is 10. What burns me is that my nephew went years hardly going to a meeting. (He didn?t feel good about himself and is very insecure) His wife would show up twice a month to a meeting and leave part way through. We never shunned their daughter nor did it cross our mind.

I?m *thinking* of writing them a letter to let them know that I think they are hypocrites and that *extending* the principle of shunning someone who is a fornicator etc ? to blood cousins on the playground at school, while still allowing their daughter to play with worldly kids is a misuse of scripture. And that it only serves to make them feel like they are ?taking a stand for Jehovah?, when in reality it?s just pitting children against one and making them feel righteous.

Where in the bible does say that it?s proper to punish or control people not going to meetings with shunning?

Is this Christ like?

What would you do? Address it or not? If so what would you say?

p.s. For full disclosure I have allowed my daughter to make her own decisions about holidays and she did go trick or treating this year, but no one knows that. So I can?t say to them honestly in a letter that she is NOT doing all the things JW aren?t allowed to do.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This reminds me of what happened to me...

When I was just a kid my friend's parents were DFed for many years and I was forbidden to go over an play. They lived a short way up the road so I would just sneak over to play.

Eventually his mother divorced and moved away and his dad was reinstated. Years later my friend told me how much he appreciated the way I would sneak over and play despite the fact that I was forbidden. He said it ment a lot to him.

Years after that I DAed and guess what? He immediately started shunning me and still does to this day.

Go figure.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I wouldn't say anything. The shunning of your daughter just goes to prove how petty people can be. There are a lot of petty people in the world and in the WTS as well. I hope your daughter understands the hypocrisy in what her cousin is doing and that it makes her a better person for it.

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit