Automatic disfellowshipping if "sin" is repeated?

by snugglebunny 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Back in the day, if someone was put on probation for an offence, rather than being disfellowshipped, if he re-offended whilst that probation was in force, disfellowshipping was automatic. Normally a probation lasted 12 months. After the probation was finished that was it. Privileges were restored. If he reoffended again, the earlier offence didn't count for anything. I know all this because I was involved in a matter where all of this occurred and the society were contacted so that everything was handled in line with current thinking.

I'm curious to learn of the procedure these days for someone who who has confessed to an offence, been placed on restrictions, but then has offended again whilst the restrictions are in force. Will he be automatically disfellowshipped?

• sir82
    sir82

I wouldn't say it was "automatic", but it is about 99.9% certain that if someone repeats the "sin" while on restrictions, he will get the boot.

Also, it is about 99.9% certain that if someone is on restrictions/reproof, and it later turns out that he/she lied or covered things up during the committee meeting, they will reconvene and give him/her the boot.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

A couple years ago, one of my first indications that something was systemically wrong with the organization was when a friend of mine told me about his cousin that had just gotten DF'd.  His cousin had recently gotten married, but it came out that they'd had sex before hand.  He got DF'd but his new bride only got reproved.  My friend said that this was because the elders in his congregation had a "three strike rule" and he'd gotten in trouble with other girls in the past (many years prior).  

My first thought was that Jesus reproved his disciples for daring to limit forgiveness to 7 times, but these assholes are taking someone who's clearly not going to re-offend (being that he actually married this girl) and they're giving him the boot because they can't bring themselves to forgive a measly 3 times?

Same thing with DFing people just because they get in trouble twice within some arbitrary, man-made time window.  If they're repentant, they should continue to forgive them indefinitely in keeping with Jesus' statements.  Maybe some good will come of it, though.  Maybe some of those who are DF'd because of rules like this will wake up as a result and won't remain in a mental prison.

• prologos
    prologos
    Today,  may it depend on the local situation? "Back in the day" it happened that a young brother from a loving family got a lady "in the world" pregnant, but was contrite, it was not a local scandal.  Probation was announced to the pleased congregation. Then, in the process of getting married, he had to agree to have the kid(s) raised in the lady's faith. Second offence, disfellowshipped automatically. so: Right after the "superior authorities" flip- back-flop, confidence in WT wanting, zeal waning. 
  • TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

It depends on what the "sin" is. Where I am, if you get in trouble for fornication and then commit fornication again 6 months later, then you would be found "unrepentant" and DF'd. 

-TE

• cappytan
    cappytan

TTATTelder:

That 6 month thing seems so arbitrary. So, 7 months means he was repentant, but 6 doesn't? It's so ridiculous.

I'm actually glad that I found TTATT now that I'm a chill adult. I don't have any "desires incidental to youth," or want to step out on my wife, I'm not a liar. 

The only thing I could be DFd for right now is Apostasy, but since no one knows I know TTATT, that won't happen unless I say/do something stupid.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The new term used is "Brazen Conduct"

This means that WHATEVER the elders determine or define as "Brazen Conduct" will get you in trouble and Disfellowshipped! It could be a one-off sin or a repeated sin....

SO...If they say your "Sin" was "brazen"....then bye bye....

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Remember, what elders do is unpredictable.

They might not investigate, they might; they might let you go even if you have been in JC's 5 times.

If they like you, or you come off as repentant, or if you are connected, you are golden.

I know a sister who has gotten probably 5 guys in trouble, was df'd maybe once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit