CAN YOU READ IN-BETWEEN THE LINES?

by Outaservice 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

MY MARRIED DAUGHTER IS A JW AND LIVES A CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE FROM ME. NOT HAVING A LOT OF CONTACT WITH HER BECAUSE OF THE ORGANIZATION'S POLICIES, I WAS UNAWARE OF HER INTEREST IN POETRY. SHE SUBMITTED A PIECE WHICH WAS PUBLISHED IN A POETRY BOOK RECENTLY AND I GOT A COPY OF THE BOOK.

THE ONLY THING IS, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE MEANING MIGHT BE IN THE WORDS, AND IF THEY RELATE AT ALL TO HER WITNESS UPBRINGING OR NOT. MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO MIGHT POSSIBLY BE ABLE TO INTERPRET POETRY MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP?

HERE IS WHAT SHE WROTE.......

DOES IT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE TO YOU? (TITLE)

WORDS SAY NOTHING

LOOKS SPEAK

TELLING LIES

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

FORGOTTEN THOUGHTS

LOST IN TIME

LEAVE ME ALONE

AWAY FROM LIFE

SHARE A SPACE

YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND ANYWAY

RETRACE THE STEPS

NO REGRETS

CHANCES ARE MEANT TO BE TAKEN

YOU CAN ONLY TURN AWAY

LIFT ME UP

I HAVE NOTHING MORE TO SAY

YOUR COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

OUTASERVICE

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good to her from you Outa!!!! Please let me know how YOU are!!!! I have asked in e-mails. I know your having health problems ..
    As to the poem I am not very smart. But I would be worried about it... She sounds fed up.
    Could you not ask her to explain it. ????

Words say nothing!_ unless she is using their " words in a fog" they wrote when I was in.
    Looks speak !_ she may be thinking that you can tell a soul by the looks -you know how they feel about smokers, drunks, gays, etc
    Telling lies! Maybe she is using this against "Apostates "as they denied any truth in Date line episode.
    What does it mean? Sounds like she is lost ....
    Forgotton thoughts!!
    Leave me alone ( these make me feel she remembers her good times with her DAD & because she mustnt think of you wishes she can forget.
    As to the rest of the poem. I would think she is depressed BUT!!!! What do I know......

I am concerned about YOU!!!!! Grace

• groovycat.
    groovycat.

Hey Outaservice

I'm not really up on poetry, but I think you could probably read alot into what she has said. Unfortunately, it could be read into in a number of ways, which doesn't help. It does seem however, that (now I know this is poetry) it is quite cryptic and muted, for me, that translates as wanting to speak out about something, but not being able to. I think it's about doing what was expected of her even if she didn't understand it, having to ignore contradiction, and having a general disarray of thoughts. I think she regrets her forgotten thoughts which are, no doubt, something to do with you. I think she feels she can't speak to anyone that will understand, and that, on reflection, her life hasn't been so bad, so she is just living with it 'because that's the way it is'. I think she is at a bit of a loss.

Generally, I would say she is confused and unhappy. Sorry.

But hey, it is poetry, and it can mean a completely different thing for each reader, this one (I think) depends on what information you are privvy to before hand.

One thing for sure though, It's got you thinking, so you'll just have to ask her.

Good luck.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That is so crypic that only she can really understand its meaning.

She wrote it for herself, not for the reader.

• blondie
    blondie

Outa, I don't know your daughter and as Elsewhere said a lot is cryptic. This is what I a reader mgiht have gotten from it.

DOES IT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE TO YOU? (TITLE)

(without reading the rest, initially it could mean does what we believe have to make sense, be logical)

WORDS SAY NOTHING

(another way of saying actions speak louder than words)

LOOKS SPEAK

TELLING LIES

(facial expressions aren?t any more reliable)

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

(If words and looks aren?t reliable, how do you make sense of it)

FORGOTTEN THOUGHTS

LOST IN TIME

(Forgotten thoughts may reveal the facts but they are lost, perhaps purposely because they caused dissonance)

LEAVE ME ALONE

AWAY FROM LIFE

(Torn two ways it may be better to be alone, away from everyone that causes the dissonance)

SHARE A SPACE

YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND ANYWAY

(Might as well stay with people since neither words nor looks can be relied on to give true meaning)

RETRACE THE STEPS

NO REGRETS

(Go back to the beginning without regret, re-examine your choices)

CHANCES ARE MEANT TO BE TAKEN

YOU CAN ONLY TURN AWAY

(You can always go back if it gets too uncomfortable)

LIFT ME UP

(Help me start)

I HAVE NOTHING MORE TO SAY

(Because actions are more important than words; now is the time to act)

• belbab
    belbab

I find this a very sad poem. I agree with many of the thoughts written above. I hope I can shine some light on the words also. DOES IT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE TO YOU? (TITLE) Does the words of this poem have to make sense to you, the reader. Does my (the writer) demeaner, mood, sadness, isolation have to have meaning for you?

WORDS SAY NOTHING Do not give me words of sympathy, they are empty: they will miss the mark.

LOOKS SPEAK TELLING LIES Do not give me feigned looks of sympathy, concern or reprimand, they are lies.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? What does the words of this poem mean, you the reader ask. What does it mean, those of you, my acquaintances, friends, relatives or whoever ask.

FORGOTTEN THOUGHTS LOST IN TIME Forget it, readers and others, the answers are lost in the depths of the past, why go there.

LEAVE ME ALONE AWAY FROM LIFE Let me be, as I am, in the depths of despair.

SHARE A SPACE You the reader, and those who know me, just be with me. Just share your own space with mine, adding nothing and let the two spaces merge together as one

RETRACE THE STEPS The writer reviews the past and asks the reader to do so also. What do you find there?

NO REGRETS The writer does not lament decisions she had made in the past.

CHANCES ARE MEANT TO BE TAKEN She took chances, maybe they can be considered as wrong decisions. LIfe is all about taking chances.

YOU CAN ONLY TURN AWAY The reader or acquaintances can only turn away in judgement, condemnation, or derision etc.

LIFT ME UP Lift me up, for I am down, she writes. LIft me up in your esteem. Accept me as I am. Give me refreshment succor and nurture for I am too weak to provide them fpr myself .

I HAVE NOTHING MORE TO SAY Neither do I, belbab

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I think we have some wonderful poetry explicators here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit