When you returned to your "WORLDLY" family how were you treated?

by wizedup 9 Replies latest jw friends

• wizedup
    wizedup

When we leave the Witness "family" we know how inhumanly we're treated. When some return, there is no rejoicing, clapping or undue expressions of "joy" allowed openly. The GB wants a period of proving yourself worthy to be back in the "fold". (Hardly what the prodigal son's father did to him!) But, Let's put the shoe on the other foot. I was the only Witness and youngest in a family of 5 of us siblings. No grandparents, parents, or siblings ever in the org. My son and his family who was still in at the time also left with us. (my other two children were already out) . First I told my children why we left and ever so sincerely apologized for raising them in that way. I called my brothers and sisters and told them we left that religion and why. I was a Witness for 33 years and basically estranged from them all that time.

My whole family NEVER made me feel bad for my choice. NEVER made me feel guilty for separating from them all these years. NEVER humiliated me with "I told you so's" even tho' preaching at them was my only means of communication and they hated it. They all said they were so happy to have me back as a part of the family. I have no testing period to see if I'm worthy, regular communication both ways, and genuine love for the person they know me to be. I even got encouragement to acclimate at my own pace. I think Brooklyn could use a lesson.

If you were a Witness and returned to your "wordly" family, how were you treated?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I was treated with love and greeted with open arms. My family was actually thrilled that I made the decision to not be involved in the crazy cult anymore. I rekindled my relationship with my grandparents and my father's last remaining brother, whom I'm very close to now. I've since lazed off the relationship with some of them as I realized some of our family is terribly dysfunctional and unhealthy for me. But the biggest thing for me is reconnecting with my uncle. It's like having a dad in my life again.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Like I had finally come to my senses! I'm having dinner with my folks tomorrow. Great people! Not like those morons at the kingdumb hall!

• gespro
    gespro
    My whole family NEVER made me feel bad for my choice. NEVER made me feel guilty for separating from them all these years. NEVER humiliated me with "I told you so's" even tho' preaching at them was my only means of communication and they hated it. They all said they were so happy to have me back as a part of the family. I have no testing period to see if I'm worthy, regular communication both ways, and genuine love for the person they know me to be. I even got encouragement to acclimate at my own pace. I think Brooklyn could use a lesson.

Wizedup-

This really does bring tears to my eyes.

I have friends who were not as fortunate. I know what it means to have genuine family who give unconditional love.

g

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

My immediate family is the only ones that were JW. My extended family, mom's side in Wisconsin, dad's side in the south west, are all just getting used to the idea that we are not JWs anymore. I spoke with my mom's sister a few days ago, and we talked about how isolated and cut off we were from all of them. That was when we still lived there. Now we are in Washington state, and out of the cult. I gather that they are still feeling the hurt and the regret of the way it was. We were never hurtful or cultish and shunning to anybody, we just missed out on the very large family gatherings for holidays and birthdays.

I try to tread lightly perhaps, because they are still christian-Lutheran-, and I am more diversified. I would like to see them, my grandparents are in their early to mid eighties.

I can look at my life and JW "experience" in a somewhat philosophic way, whereas they can't do that.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The rest of the world is my family! They seem to be pretty understanding lot!

carm

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

My mother told me 'if you don't get out of the Witnesses, I'm going to quit talking to you".

So, there you have the other side of the coin. I had to obey mom!

Outaservice (for good)

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

With love

Even though i was forced to not have any association with them when i was a jw.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Oh they were so happy I got out! They had acclimated to my choices but were never happy about it. Now, it's back to Xmas presents and birthday presents for my daughter and cards for me!

• rune
    rune

Your story just exemplifies what a twisted cult the JWs are.

Any organization that encourages the choice of an idea (God) or an ideal (service to the faith for a better life later on) over family values is just wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit