References in the Reasoning Book

by SnackerBob 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SnackerBob
    SnackerBob

So I was scanning through my Reasoning Book recently on a lark, & started looking at the actual reference texts. One scientific text they reference was written in the 1800s! Then I noted that some books acknowledged didn't list the publisher- they said 'Boston' or 'New York'. This struck me as odd, until I saw the the classic non-partisan tome 'Insight from the Scriptures (Boston)'.

Has anyone else noticed this? & wouldn't it be fun to use?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yeah, most of the WTS references are impossible to verify. They bragged about the 1985 Evolution book because it listed every reference. Boy did that come back to bite them in the ass! JW's of course didn't verify the references, but non-JW's have no trouble tearing that book to shreds.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

A few years ago, my wife was preparing to give a talk in the Theocratic School. So, she ran through it for me before the meeting. Her talk was based on page 124 of the Reasoning book, which quotes Carl Sagan saying something very unsupportive of evolution. Well, I just happen to be a big Carl Sagan fan, and something didn't sound right. The reference was from the book Cosmos, and the Society quoted it like this:

?Carl Sagan, in his book Cosmos, candidly acknowledged ?The fossil evidence could be consistent with the idea of a great designer.?? - Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p124

Now, I just happened to have the book Cosmos in the basement, so I trotted downstairs and looked it up. Here is what it really said:

?The fossil evidence could be consistent with the idea of a great designer; perhaps some species are destroyed when the Designer becomes dissatisfied with them, and new experiments are attempted on an imperfect design. But this notion is a little disconcerting. Each plant and animal is exquisitly made; should not a supremely competent Designer have been able to make the intended variety from the start? The fossil record implies trial and error, an inability to anticipate the future, features inconsistent with an efficient Great Designer (although not with a designer of a more remote and indirect temperment).? - Cosmos, p29

The bastards had taken a fraction of a sentence out of context, thereby reversing the actual point he was trying to make.
  • Poztate
    Poztate
    The bastards had taken a fraction of a sentence out of context, thereby reversing the actual point he was trying to make

What else is news...they put a spin on everything.This is something to be saved and I will..Thanks

POZ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit