Top 500 Songs of all time

by Big Tex 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Rolling Stone magazine released its top 500 songs of all time. I probably would have named "Satisfaction" number one, but that's quibbling.

What do you think should be included in the top 10 and isn't?

'Like a Rolling Stone' Named No. 1 Song

13 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Rolling Stone magazine has named the top 500 songs of all time in its new issue, and, well, the No. 1 song isn't exactly a complete unknown.

AP Photo

Bob Dylan ( news )'s "Like A Rolling Stone" tops the list, compiled from votes by 172 critics and musicians that included Brian Wilson ( news ), Joni Mitchell, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and others ? in a special issue that hits newsstands Friday.

"No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time, for all time," writes David Fricke, a senior editor of Rolling Stone.

Following Dylan is the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," John Lennon ( news )'s "Imagine," Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" and "Aretha Franklin's "Respect."

"It's worth noting that "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Satisfaction" were recorded within a month of each other," Fricke told The Associated Press Wednesday. "It says a lot about how fast pop music was moving at that time."

Rounding out the top ten are "Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry ( news ), the Beatles' "Hey Jude," Nivana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Ray Charles' "What'd I Say."

No one makes the chart more than (surprise, surprise) the Beatles, who have 23 tunes on the list. The Rolling Stones have 14 hits, and Dylan 12.

Thought the list is heavy on the `50s, `60s and `70s (voters were told to focus on "the rock 'n' roll era"), the most recent song is 2003's "Hey Ya!" by Outkast, charting at no. 180.

Squeaking in as the 500th all-time best song is Boston's "More Than a Feeling."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20041117/ap_en_mu/music_rolling_stone500

• Valis
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yeah but those are albums (pretty good list by the way), they just released a list of individual songs.

• Badger
    Badger

Only 500?

• Preston
    Preston

I don't think the songs were judged as being "the best", but what the writers thought were the "best songs" from the most important artists in music of the past 50 years.... Certainly "Gimmie Shelter" and most of the songs off of Exile on Main Street are better than "Satisfaction". The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" is a better and much more influential song than "Hey Jude". I do think they were right on Dylan though. I'm surprised they left of Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin and Muddy Waters.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone
    No one makes the chart more than (surprise, surprise) the Beatles, who have 23 tunes on the list. The Rolling Stones have 14 hits, and Dylan 12.

Regardles of that fact... I still cannot stand the Beatles. There are perhaps 2 songs that I can stand to listen to, and even then it has to be by force.

Kansas District Overbeer

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Stairway to Heaven wasn't in the top 10?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen? What's the world coming to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit