Is your life behind or ahead of you?

by eyeslice 1 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Mrs Eyeslice and I have a very close friend in the "truth" who has recently had a torrid time breaking up with her non-JW husband. She has been very emotionally drained and down just lately, feeling she has nothing ahead of her. But come on, she is only 38 years old, is a very attractive lady and has most of her adult life ahead of her.

An incident from my Sunday morning run brought this out to me.

I was out running (jogging really) on Sunday morning when I caught up with an old guy also out for a run. I joggled along side him for a bit, and told me a bit about himself. He is 83 years old, runs 3 miles every day (with 5 miles on Sundays). He's ran for years and for his age is extremely fit for his age, both mentally and physically. So I got to thinking, here is a guy who is approximately 31 years older than me. 31 years ago, I was 20 years old, and my adult life was only just beginning. I wasn't married at the time, hadn't got kids (who are nearly grown up). Looking back, I have done so much since then. Now, if I am lucky enough to have another 31 years of good health and fortune ahead of me, my life isn't yet half over!

So, for those of you who have struggled in the "truth", have struggled to leave, and now struggle on the outside, don't despair - I am sure that most of you guys have proverbial glasses that are well over half full.

Eyeslice

• prophecor
    prophecor

Encouraging, because as I've looked back on all the energy spent, 17 years @ 13, getting in, a tour of duty of 2 years after having finally "Made Up My Mind" along with an additional 10 years on in-active duty assignment, at 45, life can have the tendency to look a little short, depression and mid life crissis of conscience can have a disasterous effect on ones ability to just stop,......and allow yourself to smell the roses, smell the coffee, just be OK with the universe and accepting the energy thats in it.

As I've gotten to this stage in my life, it has been a blessing to put a mandatory 15 mph restriction on my want and desire for racing around. Life is fast enough without having the need for always handling situations at 100 mph.

I've missed so much of the movie, so it feels OK to just walk away from the past and not feel I need to "Run Like Hell" away from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit