So I met a JW recently

by neverthere 8 Replies latest jw friends

• neverthere
    neverthere

Ok, so I didn't know that she was a JW when I first met her. She seemed really nice (LOL ok she is really nice but.....). Her daughter and mine attend Parks and Rec ballet classes for toddlers and we sit and chat during the 45 mins the parents are banned from the room. We have had some wonderful conversations but last week when the kids were talking about which Care Bears they had my daughter states that she got her favorite Carebear (it sings, oh joy!) for her birthday. This wonderful little girl who is fast becoming my daughters first real friend says "we don't have birthdays do we mum" So mum says "thats right your learning good". Hmmm that was where I knew for certain that she was a JW, then the subject of Xmas came up and she said that she didn't celebrate that either. Now I have not let on that I know she is JW.

Should I act like she said nothing that I am clueless about which "Christian" religion she follows unless she shoves it in my face. She is a really nice lady otherwise and her daughter is such a sweetheart.

Advice appreciated,

Diana

• avishai
    avishai
    Her daughter and mine attend Parks and Rec ballet classes for toddlers

Would'nt that time be better spent studying for the meetings?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

There's no reason to let her know you're aware she is a JW. If it's important to her sooner or later she'll witness? to you, or let you know somehow. Who knows, maybe she's secretly thrilled at the prospect of having a non-JW friend, someone who won't judge every breath she takes. In the long run, she may be helped to leave the org.

Considering the area, I wonder if it's someone I used to know.

Walter

• bebu
    bebu

Hi neverthere,

I'm also a non-dub. I have heard recently from others like us, who were 'never there'. Maybe we should create a little union?

I would not bring it up. Let your friendship grow first as far as it can. When she finally mentions that she is a witness, don't flinch, but keep smiling and nodding.

I think that they are prepared to get a cold shoulder from non-witnesses, and feel relieved if it doesn't happen. She will relax and listen to you better, in the long term.

This has been my experience. My friendship with my JW neighbor is great. We see each other at least 2x a week. We've not gone over JW things because of the stress of her separation/divorce, and she has been dealing with depression. I'm not into winning a battle at any cost here.

I know she's aware that a gal has been meeting with me from her congregation. I think she'll be trying to keep a pulse on our discussions thru the lady who comes here, "P". ..In fact, I occasionally wonder if she urged P to come over here!

Remember, you can catch flies more easily with honey than vinegar.

bebu

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If it were me then I could not resist playing along with it.. Listening to what was said and asking some intelligent questions , which we can educate ourselves from the net.

As someone said, you might even help her out???

just make sure that they do not witness to your little girl

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I would not raise the subject of religion with her. Just be a good friend.

What got me out when I was a very unhappy JW was non-judgemental kindness from "worldly" people who never criticised my wacky beliefs at all.

If she is a completely happy JW, it still won't do her any harm to see that not everyone in the "World" is as nasty as the WT says they are.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Tell her next time that you know some people that belong to a "high control cult" that won't allow there kids to have blood transfusions, practice shunning, contrary to Jesus's example, don't allow their kids to participate in sports unless they are highly successful pros like Sirena Williams that give large sums of money to the cult.... you get the drift..

carmel

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    Tell her next time that you know some people that belong to a "high control cult" that won't allow there kids to have blood transfusions, practice shunning, contrary to Jesus's example, don't allow their kids to participate in sports unless they are highly successful pros like Sirena Williams that give large sums of money to the cult.... you get the drift..

Then watch her running away.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Then watch her running away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit