I dread the day!

by CC Ryder 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

I stopped in to see my parents yesterday. My mother is not a JW, my father is. My father is 81 and told me he stepped down as an Elder recently. I was calm until he mentioned that the CO was there at the time and they met with him and read him scriptures that was intended to encourage him, and "to not worry about leaving all that work that has to be done behind, that Jehovah knows you have done more than your share" BS. I almost lost it when he said that. Why can't they just say, " You deserve a rest Brother, you've done very well, enjoy yourself and take a break".

I dread the day he passes away and I have to deal with those insensitive, brainwashed, self-righteous people! I think I owe it to him to honor his wishes to be cremated and have a memorial talk at the KH. I just don't know if I can go through it without punching somebody in the mouth! I know the day is approaching. I have been trying to prepare myself for it, I just dread it.

Tink and I went through it with her Mom and her Uncle, but it will be different when it's my Father. I'll be directly involved then.

Anyone have any suggestions?

CC

I just realized that I put this post under the wrong topic. Please accept my apollogy. (editted to ad this comment)

• kls
    kls

I feel for you when that day comes and hope it is a long time away. I think about when my jw husband dies and i have decided there will be no jws allowed even if i have to post guards but in your situation all you can do is mourn for your dad and know that when it is all over you will never have to see them again.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am happy for your father.

One of our dear, dear, dear older JW friends (they will talk to us, but don't seek us out) is in his mid 80's and has tried to resign from being an elder for several years, and they just won't let him do it. They promise him fewer talks and less responsibility, but according to his wife, it never turns out that way. He isn't well, and needs to be let off the hook. It sounds to me like the elders in your father's cong. are doing him a great kindness.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hi Mulan! My father had been trying to step down for the past 3 or 4 years. His health has been failing slightly and his eye sight is not good. Much like that friend you mentioned, his fellow Elders wouldn't let him take a break. I held my temper back though.

I'm glad they finally let him have break. Thanks for the reply Mulan, it's nice to hear from you again. I am just returning these past weeks to try and post more often.

CC

• Valis
    Valis

CC...I moved your topic to Personal Experiences, or we can move it to Private if you want. My dad ruined my grandfather's funeral...all that preaching and very little actually talking about him. Here's my advice. If the elders respect you then you should be able to get up and say your peace over your dad. Spend as much time as possible talking about your fond memories and maybe even mention his service to the WTBTS and how they should all be gratefull...If they don't want to allow that then I would have a big problem. But then again, I may be in Borneo when my parents decide to pass away. Honestly I wish it were so sometimes.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Thanks Valis. I've been thinking about something like that. I just have a bad temper and low tolerance for those knuckleheads. My Dad has been real level headed and kind to Tink and I during our exit and over these past few years. I don't want to say too much, I'm still fearful a snoop may read these posts and cause him some grief.

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit