HOLIDAYS & THE WTBTS's BASIS FOR APOSTASY

by Corvin 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Corvin
    Corvin

Lurkers, doubters, faders, apostates and df?d and da?d JW?s, here is some interesting stuff for you to consider.

According to the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, the following is what constitutes apostasy:

" . . . to be disfellowshiped, an apostate does not hay to be a promoter of apostate views . . . Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended, kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken . . . "
    • Letter from the Governing Body to all Circuit and District Overseers SCG:SSF September 1, 1980
    • The idea here is that if anyone expresses doubt or disbelief in the WTBTS?s teachings, they are viewed as apostate and should be disfellowshipped. There is no room in the organization of JW?s for those with differing opinions.

After all these years in the organization, I read the following Scripture for the first time.

"Welcome the [man] having weaknesses in [his] faith, but not to make decisions on inward questionings." (Romans 14:1 NWT)

The New World Translation makes the point rather obscure by its wording. Here is what The Kingdom Interlinear Translation says:

"The but one being weak to the faith be you receiving toward yourselves, NOT into discriminations of reasonings."

The New American Standard Bible reads this way:

"Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgement on his opinions."

You see, according to the Bible, it is fine and acceptable to God that we exercise critical thinking, express doubt, and yes, even question what we are taught and form our own opinions! Compare 2 Corinthians 13:5

As for celebrating the Holidays, well, there is not one instance in the Bible where it is forbidden to celebrate or observe certain days. The mental gymnastics of the WTBTS?s doctrines only draws the presumptive conclusion that is wrong to celebrate the holidays.

Romans 14:2-6 clearly shows that such observances are a matter of conscience and not an act deserving of destruction by God.

2 One [man] has faith to eat everything, but the [man] who is weak eats vegetables. 3 Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed that one. 4 Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand. 5 One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day observes it to Jehovah. Also, he who eats, eats to Jehovah, for he gives thanks to God; and he who does not eat does not eat to Jehovah, and yet gives thanks to God.

The above Scripture, in my opinion, really holds the true meaning of Christian freedom.

The Corvins will indeed be celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas this year with a clean conscience (ty lb).

Corvin

• Scully
    Scully

Well done, Corvin!

It wasn't until I read Romans 14:5 a couple of times that it sunk in that it was nobody's business - certainly not the Elders'? business - whether we observed holidays or not.

I especially like using vs. 10-12 to "prove" that it isn't anyone's business but my own:

10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you also look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written: "'As I live,' says Jehovah, 'to me every knee will bend down and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.'" 12 So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God.

Nothing shows the WTS as Going Beyond The Things Written? as these few verses, not just in terms of holidays, but the entire DFing/DAing practice or labelling people as Bad Associations? or Apostates? - particularly over petty issues like smoking or grooming - boils down to judging others.

Love, Scully

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Nothing shows the WTS as Going Beyond The Things Written? as these few verses, not just in terms of holidays, but the entire DFing/DAing practice or labelling people as Bad Associations? or Apostates? - particularly over petty issues like smoking or grooming - boils down to judging others.

I agree. What they do to other people, especially children, is disgusting. Weighing another human being down with your own selfish interpretation of Scripture is so anti-Jesus, and more Pharisaic than anything.

Corvin

• kls
    kls

Thank's Corvin it is always good to have a refresher course on how to see the WT twisted lies on Holidays.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit