Hypoallergenic cats now for sale....

by Elsewhere 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/10/27/biotechnology.cats/index.html

Genetically modified cats for sale

(CNN) -- A California biotechnology company has started taking orders for a hypoallergenic cat for pet lovers prone to allergies.

The genetically engineered feline, which is expected to be available from 2007, is the first in a planned series of lifestyle pets, Los Angeles-based Allerca said in a press release.

Allerca hopes to attract customers among the millions of people worldwide who suffer from cat allergies.

Up to 10 percent of the U.S. population alone are believed to be prone to symptoms that can affect the eyes, nose, ears, throat, lungs and skin.

Many cat lovers ignore medical advice and discomfort and choose to keep the animals as pets, or use expensive medications to cope with their allergies.

Cat allergen is also one of the main causes of childhood allergies, asthma and other respiratory diseases such as bronchitis.

Cat allergies are caused by a potent protein secreted by the cat's skin and salivary glands. The allergen is so small it can remain airborne for months.

Using "gene silencing" technology, Allerca is able to suppress the production of the protein.

The first breed of hypoallergenic cats will be British Shorthairs, which are considered to be ideal pets with friendly, playful and affectionate personalities.

Allerca expects the first kittens to be born in early 2007 and is already accepting $250 deposits from interested customers.

Allerca president Simon Brodie told The Associated Press that he ultimately hopes to sell 200,000 of the cats annually at $3,500 each in the United States.

Brodie said the cats would be spayed and neutered to prevent breeding with naturally born animals.

He also said he didn't expect to have any problems with federal regulators after neither the U.S. Department of Agriculture nor the Food and Drug Administration objected to the creation of a genetically-engineered pet fish because it wasn't meant for human consumption

The GloFish, which went on sale in pet stores earlier this year, is a zebra fish implanted with a fluorescent sea anemone gene.

"As long as people don't start eating cats and they don't enter the food chain, then we should be handled like the GloFish," Brodie told the AP.

The genetic-engineered cat is the latest attempt to apply biotechnology to the lucrative pet industry.

In August, Genetic Savings & Clone -- another Californian company -- announced that it had successfully cloned two kittens from a one-year-old female Bengal cat and said it could clone anyone's pet for around $50,000.

• Mary
    Mary

Hey I wonder if we could create a group of Hypoallergenic Governing Body members for those of us who are allergic to Service, Meetings and endless bullshit rules and bizarre doctrines!!

Minimus would you look into this for us please?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Fascinating.

I can hear the opponents now.... "There are already too many unclaimed cats! We shouldn't be creating more cats, especially frankenstein cats!"

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Can they genetically alter my cats to clean their own litter box?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Nancy, just get a dog. If I don't watch mine, she will go to the kitty box thinking it's full of tootsie rolls.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Can they genetically alter my cats to clean their own litter box?

Nope, but here is the next best thing!

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

Initial insertion, kitten was injected with 2mg equivalent dosage of Valium via Ketamine after 12 hr fasting regimen. Notice pre-drilled side hole for ventilation/feeding tube.

After insertion, feeding tube not yet inserted, ventilation through 1/4 inch side hole drilled with diamond-tipped bit.

Rear aspect, revealing initial swelling reaction from Super Glue. Rectal diverticulum to side tube usually spontaneously occurs in one week.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Actually you can already buy a cat that is virtually hypoallergenic, at least to many people. They are Scottish Fold cats. My mom got one because my dad is highly allergic to cats, as I am. When I was in Arkansas visiting my family last week, I was over at my mom and dads and had no reactions, despite holding the cut little thing. Then I fo over to my sisters, who has two regular and one Scottish fold, and my hay ffever went nuts. Same reaction all week, instantaneous. Plus they are reall adorable kittens, but a little pricey.

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/scottish-fold-faq.html#medical

Randy

• Satanus
    Satanus
    frankenstein cats

Just tell em that it's halloween, the perfect time for them to appear.

S

• Piph
    Piph

Cool! If only I was rich...

I adore kitties, if only my nose did too.

I've read that cats like Scottish Folds, American Wirehairs, Maine Coons, Sphynx (aka hairless), and the Devon and Cornish Rex are hypoallergenic for a lot of people who are allergic, but not all of them, unfortunately. Any one of those are cheaper than the fully hypoallergenic kind!

Maybe I should just have my nose removed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit