Halloween Banned by school in England

by Gordy 1 Replies latest social current

• Gordy
    Gordy

Did anyone see the article in a newspaper the other day.
    I saw it in Daily Mirror. (english newspaper)

That a school has banned Halloween.

Why?

Because it might upset those who are Wiccans or witches.

They school decided that the things associatied with Halloween. Broomsticks, pointed black hates, cauldrons etc. Would be upseeting to those who were Wiccans or Witches, as it would stereotype them.
    Plus as Wiccan is a recognised religion, it was thought it would be discriminatory to it.!-/Text-!>

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Wiccans halt Halloween for school kids
    KING5.com (subscription), WA - 12 hours ago
    ... I won't be able to have my kids wear green. Or their birthday and they can't bring cupcakes because of Jehovah's Witnesses," said Katie McCoy, parent. ...

Wiccans halt Halloween for school kids

05:21 PM PDT on Thursday, October 21, 2004

By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

PUYALLUP, Wash. - Six-year-old Molly Macon was looking forward to wearing her cheerleader costume and celebrating Halloween with her schoolmates, until her mom got this letter saying there would be "no observance" of Halloween at Puyallup schools.

"I just think it's wrong and that it's not fair to the children," said said her mother.

KING

The school district says it got calls from witches - yes, actual witches - complaining about the continuation of ugly stereotypes.

"That witches are portrayed with pointy noses and flying on broomsticks," said Karen Hansen, Puyallup School District.

The district says it is just trying to be sensitive to individual religious beliefs, whether you're a practicing catholic or practicing witchcraft.

Parents say this is the scariest example of political correctness they've ever seen.

"Next it's gonna be my birthday, which is St. Patrick's Day. I won't be able to have my kids wear green. Or their birthday and they can't bring cupcakes because of Jehovah's Witnesses," said Katie McCoy, parent.

She has a point. If witches are offended by witches, who's next? Geeks? Hippies? Republicans?

Juliet Sykes, a practicing witch, or Wiccan as they're properly called, says those who complain about Halloween should have a witches brew and relax.

"I don't take offense to costumes, because that's not what I am, it's not what I about. Do I look like this? This is my little witch that I put out," said Sykes. "It's not what the Wiccan religion is about."

Puyallup school officials say the decision to cancel Halloween celebrations is a permanent one and students who wear costumes to school will be asked to take them off or leave.

School officials add Wiccans weren't the only ones who complained about Halloween. Some Christian groups complained about the glamorization of the occult.

The Slow motion serial killers Watchtower Ghouls for God. Grim Reaper Trick or Treat Jack O' Lantern

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit