The Name of God YHWH and the Pagan Pentagram

by Sirona 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Leolaia,

Thanks for the clarification re the name of Jesus. So kabbalists have that wrong? That is interesting.

Satanus:

I don't think witches are necessarily "enthralled" by the name Yahweh (or Jehovah) but yes, it comes up in the kabballah. There are so many connections that I find it fascinating.

For me, it all makes so much sense.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Jim

You made some interesting comments re the 3 wise men etc. I agree with you that the watchtower tries to put it's own interpretation on this but the story seems to indicate that they were not evil (they respectfully welcomed Jesus!)

Sirona

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the Hebrew of Joshua 1:1:

Joshua 1:1
    vyhy 'xry mvt msh jbd yhvh vy'mr yhvh 'l-yhvsj bn-nvn msrt msh l'mr.

The letter "j" is used in this transliteration to represent the Hebrew letter 'ayin. The verse translates as: "After the death of Moses the servant of Yahweh, Yahweh said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assistant..." Compare the spelling of "Yahweh" and "Joshua" in this text.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Leolaia,

So in that verse the name Joshua is spelled that way. Where did the misinterpretation come from?

I'm interested to know why so many have got it wrong

Sirona

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it probably is a "meme" current among Christian qabbalists and not among Jewish qabbalists fluent in rabbinic Hebrew. It would be strange for someone knowledgeable of Hebrew to not realize that the name derives from the root ys' (yod - shin - 'ayin) "to save"; yhws' means "Yahweh is salvation".

The original spelling that I gave in Joshua, yhws' (pronounced Yehoshu'a), then underwent change in post-exilic Hebrew. Thus in Nehemiah 8:17 and Zechariah, we find the name shortened to yws' (or Yoshu'a), with the medial he deleted. Then, in the Dead Sea Scrolls from the first century BC and the first century AD, the name is shortened again to ys' (or Yeshu'a), a development that obliterated the original theophoric element and made the name superficially identical to the verbal root ys' (cf. 1QH 15:15, fr. 18:5). Throughout the whole process, the 'ayin formed part of the name. The form yhswh never existed in Hebrew, at least as a version of "Joshua" or "Jesus," and it looks like a naive error made by those unfamiliar with Hebrew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit