Doug Bennett passed...

by CeriseRose 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I heard this on the way to work and just felt sad. I guess it's a fact of life as we get older that more and more of our personal experiences are the ones on the obituary list...just kind of depressing.

Doug and the Slugs were the first concert I ever went to, February 14, 1984. They were incredible.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041017.wbennett17/BNStory/Entertainment/

Calgary ? Doug Bennett, the lead singer of the prolific Canadian indie band, Doug and the Slugs, died over the weekend at the age of 53.

He was admitted to hospital in Calgary on Oct. 9, suffering acute symptoms from what his former band member, Simon Kendall, called a long-standing illness in a statement released Sunday.

He lost consciousness soon after his arrival and died on Saturday.

Bennett was born in Toronto and moved to Vancouver in 1973. He formed Doug and the Slugs four years later.

The band released four gold albums and performed from New York to the far north as one of the premier Canadian touring acts in the 1980s.

A prolific songwriter, Bennett wrote a number of hits for the band including; Too Bad, Day By Day, Making It Work, Tomcat Prowl, among others.

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry to hear he died but I never heard of him before. I'm not Canadian, ay.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah, I heard this too and forgot to post it. RIP Doug

Also, another death was Larry La Prise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey",
    died peacefully at age 93.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Holy shit, I figured I'd download some Doug & The Slugs, and I can't believe how many songs I know by them! It's one of those cases where I know the song, but I don't know who does it. I grew up with hearing these tunes on the radio. Day by Day is an awesome tune!

The sad thing is I had many opportunities to see them, but I figured it wasn't worth going just to see them play the only song I knew by them, "Making it Work"

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I had no idea who he was until I did a seach just now. Turns out they are the group who sang one of my favorite songs as a kid.

1-2-3

123, that's how elementary
    It's gonna be
    Come on let's fall in love
    It's easy (it's so easy)
    Like taking candy from a baby

ABC, falling in love with you was
    Easy for me
    And you can do it too
    It's easy (it's so easy)
    Like taking candy from a baby

There is really nothin' hard 'bout love