Literature

by CeriseRose 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Okay, I'm a bad person. I promised Seeitallclearlynow when I started here WAY back in March that I would start a thread on literature that I liked to read and see if we can have some good conversation come out of it.

A little bit about me. I'm working on my Bachelor of English, and have been reading since I was 4. I have been a creative writer since I was 7 (I used to re-write sitcom endings!), have been writing poetry for 20+ years (some of which may soon be published!), and have recently changed careers to become a technical writer. So for me the written word in all its forms is a passion. ;) (In other words, I'm a reading geek! hehe)

Now, none of this makes me any better than anyone else, and quite frankly, I don't usually discuss what I read (I've never been in a literary group) so this is kind of a new experience for me. So I'll just throw out some things I've read and really enjoyed and we'll go from there. :) (As an aside, I lost years of reading while I was a JW, which really stifled my creativity. I'm SO glad I'm out and can go back to reading really interesting and well-written things instead of...well...you know. *grin*)

Oh, and I'm not a snob about literature to film...I love watching the classics as much as reading them. So even if you're not much of a reader, feel free to join in if you've 'seen' these.

Jane Austen - Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice (and if you haven't seen the A&E miniseries of this, you really should!)

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre (my fave adaptation was the BBC miniseries from 1985)

E.M. Forster - A Room with a View

Louisa May Alcott - Little Women, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom

Madeline L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Alice Munro - Who Do You Think You Are? (This is a Canadian author and this title was marketed under a different name in the U.S.)

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness (the movie Apocalypse Now was based on this)

Shakespeare - Pretty much everything, but right now Othello (my current 'study' for English Lit.)

• under74
    under74

Well I wish I was more read in classics. I have read Heart Of Darkness and Little Women (years ago). What I found really interesting was reading King Leopold's Ghost- it's non-fiction about Belgium colonies in Africa. There's some interesting stuff about Conrad in this book. Let's see, books I've read recently are The Man Without Qualities-Robert Musil, A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole, Love In The Time of Cholera (maybe it's just me...but I didn't really care for this book-100 Years Of Solitude is much better) and I just re-read This Boy's Life-Tobias Wolffe.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

CeriseRose, you did it! Thanks.

I have all of Jane Austen's books and most of her fragments and the works completed by others. I enjoy those too.

I also enjoyed Louisa May Alcott's books and I read Little Men many years ago.

Like you said, I've seen all of the movie adaptations that I could find of most of the books you've mentioned. Not too much on Shakespeare though! But a few of those too, and have read in school some of his works.

More later!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit