What would you think?

by ConcernedMom 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

When I was a teenager, one of my friends started dating a JW. He "wasn't into his religion, just his parents were." She ended up pregnant, quit school to get married and after that, we pretty much only saw her standing on street corners or in McD's on Sunday mornings after meetings, with her (3 I think) little boys all dressed up in their shirts and ties. She moved to a nearby town and eventually to Ontario. I hadn't given her much though until my daughter started dating a JW. Anywhooo....a few days ago, there was an engagement notice in our local paper for her oldest son--probably about 25 now. The ad was put in by all his Mom's worldly family (lists them all from grandma/grandpa on down to the cousins). There is no mention of his mom or dad who both grew up here or his JW extended family who live here still. Before reading stories on this board, I probably wouldn't have made note of that but now I'm thinking the son was probably DFd/DAd/shunned and the worldly side of the family is making a show of support for him...on the other hand, maybe I'm reading too much into it and seeing shadows that aren't really there. What do you think?---Deb

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

and after that, we pretty much only saw her standing on street corners

Hmm. Was she selling magazines are something else?

M'

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I think you are right on target. Unless his parents are dead, why else would the rest of the family be listed and not the parents. Sounds like shunning to me and sounds like his folks are going to miss out on one of their child's most important moments. So sad for all. Good for you for spotting the cult at work!

• Tim Horton
    Tim Horton

Hi Deb, Sometimes it's true you can read too much into things and it can get you into trouble? I know I tend to be paranoid about certain things and lots of times I'm right but lots of times I'm wrong too. So I've found it pays to ask questions and get your facts straight. Maybe the parents just did't want their name in the paper. I know JW's tend to be very private about stuff like that. Then again there is a very strong possibility that they could be shunning him. If that is the case, it definately is a very sad senario. Your kids give you so much joy and pleasure. I can't imagine missing my 2 babies wedding days. I have a 13 year old and a 16 month old. To miss out on that just wouldn't happen. I don't kow how any parent could. I definately understand your concern.You'll have to let me know what you find out if anything and I'd love to hear from you. Mrs. Horton

• Flash
    Flash
    I'm thinking the son was probably DFd/DAd/shunned and the worldly side of the family is making a show of support for him...on the other hand, maybe I'm reading too much into it and seeing shadows that aren't really there. What do you think?---Deb

You could be right. The JW's now shun 'at will.' So it could be he's just fallen out of favor for some reason, like low meeting attendance. Sad isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit