Is this the first 'apostate' virus?

by IT Support 8 Replies latest jw friends

• IT Support
    IT Support

Story URL: http://software.silicon.com/malware/0,3800003100,39125000,00.htm Virus alert: Bacros goes back to the future Jo Best
    silicon.com
    October 14, 2004

Like pixie boots and Bros, some things are better off left in the 1980s - like viruses that spread via floppy discs and tried to wipe hard drives. It seems no one told the virus writers that, though.

Finnish antivirus firm F-Secure has spotted a new virus, Bacros, doing the rounds. Unlike the average virus which spreads over email, IM or networks, Bacros is going back to the old school and copying itself to floppy discs and burning itself to CD-ROMs by using an autorun file in order to spread, although it can't copy itself to other portable storage like USB sticks. It infects local filesystem files by renaming all .txt files as .exe.

Bacros' harking back to the bad old early days of viruses doesn't stop there, though. Instead of using the infection to recruit a zombie army and make some money from spammers, Bacros goes for simple destruction.

If it infects a PC, the virus will delete all files from the victim's hard drive on Christmas Day.

In another sign that the writer behind Bacros is more likely after notoriety than cold, hard cash, the malware author has taken care to put his own distinctive stamp on the infected PC. On the first of any month, the virus will overwrite all gif files with a gif that says 'Kuole Jehova' - 'die Jehovah' in Finnish.

The writer also makes use of images to subject the victim to his patriotic side - on Finland's independence day, 6 December, the virus will set a small graphic of the Finnish flag as the background on the system.

Copyright © 2003 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    silicon.com is a registered service mark of CNET Networks, Inc.
    silicon.com Logo is a service mark of CNET NETWORKS, Inc.

----

It sounds like someone in Finland has just been disfellowshipped and is totally pissed off!!

Regards,

Ken

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

WOW! Very interesting!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ken:
    LOL
    If it was a DF'ed person, they'd likely get it to search for "Watchtower Library" first

• IT Support
    IT Support
    If it was a DF'ed person, they'd likely get it to search for "Watchtower Library" first

Hey, what a great idea, Ross--I'll include that in the next release...

Regards,

Ken

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Too funny!

Could someone here get a copy and send it to the WBTS accidently? ...... my bad.

Bren

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL...I know, it's terrible to laugh at a virus, but that is kind of funny.

Okay, okay, we hear about malware all the time...but how about some beneware? I say we write a self-propagating program that delivers insightful information to the user's desktop if it finds a copy of WT Library on the system. You know, every so often it just plops down a chapter from Plato's Republic, or, say, a survey of important philosophies over the centuries. Maybe it adds JWD to the user's Favorites list.

:-)

SNG

• Haereticus
    Haereticus
    It sounds like someone in Finland has just been disfellowshipped and is totally pissed off!!

It sounds all right, but one could consider local factors also. According to a national survey borg is the most disliked religious domination in this country.

Mark

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Seattleguy - I like that! The JW Apostate Info Virus! Set it up like adware and spyware (gawd I hate those thinge) and propogate it via JW sites in addition to the mass-email style virus.

I'm sure there are some IT people here who could help coverup it's origins.

Good luck!

Bren

• IT Support
    IT Support

Brenda

Could someone here get a copy and send it to the WBTS accidently? ...... my bad.

You're wicked, but a great idea!

SNG

Okay, okay, we hear about malware all the time...but how about some beneware? I say we write a self-propagating program that delivers insightful information to the user's desktop if it finds a copy of WT Library on the system. You know, every so often it just plops down a chapter from Plato's Republic, or, say, a survey of important philosophies over the centuries. Maybe it adds JWD to the user's Favorites list.

That's highly creative SNG, and my admiration is enhanced by its deviousness!

Haereticus

According to a national survey borg is the most disliked religious domination in this country.

Surprise, surprise!

I've never heard of an equivalent survey in the UK, but it's highly likely it would have a similar outcome. What a wonderful way to wind up every JW's paranoia another notch or three!

Brenda

Seattleguy - I like that! The JW Apostate Info Virus! Set it up like adware and spyware (gawd I hate those thinge) and propogate it via JW sites in addition to the mass-email style virus.

Just thinking about it, maybe we shouldn't--can you imagine WT's retaliation? A unremovable virus that keeps playing Kingdom Melodies on your PC. Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!

Regards,

Ken

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit