What a difference!

by onintwo 4 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

Attended a funeral today. Or a celebration of life. However you would have it. It was the most moving thing I can remember in recent days. Videos, music, open mike for those who wished to say a few words, etc.

Wow! Not a dry eye in the house at the conclusion, though. As I said, very moving presentation. None of this "canned crap" from the JW's memorials. I remember how choreographed and stilted every memorial I attended at the KH was. The requisite reading from the Bible, like all of us hadn't heard it a hundred times or more. Not near enough about the actual person who was deceased. JW's always used it as an occasion to PREACH about coming better days. Can you say boring? God, I think it is actually arrogant to use this persons death in that way! What are they thinking?

What a contrast where persons are actually allowed to express themselves, without the use of a pre-approved "outline". I can't tell you how liberating it was to see the genuine article. A real funeral. People permitted to express to the decedent's family and friends how much they enjoyed her. An hour taken up wholly with the person's accomplishments, their dreams, family, and yes, even their foibles and idiosyncrasies!

Wonderful!

Onintwo

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

So uh..they were actually talking about the person and not just spouting about how great Jehovah is?

cRaZIe!!!!

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/79287/1287059/post.ashx#1287059

I did the same on Saturday, but a Catholic funeral that was full of love & respect for a 21 year old kid that od'd on drugs that the priest did not even know. But it was all full of understanding, compassion, & love. I don't think anyone would have been capable of talking about the poor kid at that time, everyone was too broken up over it. Quite a contrst though, isn't it?

• Gordy
    Gordy

I attended my first non-JW funeral about six months ago. It was the funeral of a man I had come to love and respect. He had suffered from diabetes had both legs removed to try and save him, but it failed. But through it all he was so full of life and fun. It was a celebration of the mans life. At the funeral person after person spoke about him. How even through his ordeal he encouraged others and never lost faith in Christ. It was the most enjoyable funeral I had ever been to.

Contrasted with the funerals of two JW's I had been to the previous year. Both had been JW's for 50-60 years both Elders , both well liked. Yet at the service not once did they mention the life of this men. It was all now they "sleep" and await a resurrection to paradise. Will YOU be there to meet them when they are resurrectted. It might as well have been a public talk on a Sunday morning.

• garybuss
    garybuss

(The Watchtower, Oct. 15, 1952, p.639)
    Questions from Readers
    But dedicated Christians arrange for a witness to the truth at the funeral. This is taking advantage of an opportunity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit