Independence Day and African Americans

by jimmyjames 8 Replies latest jw friends

• jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

A black friend of mine will not celebrate the 4th of July. He feels it's a mockery since black people were still slaves when the country gained its independence.

I wanted to hear what other people think of that. That's the first person I've ever heard mention it, but I never thought about that.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Hi Jimmy,
    Interesting viewpoint by your friend. I am black, and here is the way I look at things.
    I am not, nor have I ever been a slave. Since this IS the country of my birth, I am an AMERICAN. The independence of this country is what has made it possible for me to prosper in my own way as it has for millions of foreignors who emigrate to this country.
    I am certainly happy for that opportunity even tho racism still exists here. I try each day to make the best of my situation as do ALL Americans.
    Also, I believe that future struggles in this country will center around CLASS, not RACE.

Boozy

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey jimmy,

Good question. I'll never give up a day off dude or an excuse to have a party. that's not the only reason why I celebrate the 4th though. I think documents like the Declaration of Indepedence contain thoughts and principles that uniquely give oppotunity to all citizens of this nation of ours. Ppl may hinder access to them, but they are still there and you can't hold ppl down forever. So , I'm proud to be a part of this country and I think I'm fortunate to be alive in this part of the world. I really do, ppl in other countries seem to have it so hard.

Boozerunner:

You said:

Also, I believe that future struggles in this country will center around CLASS, not RACE.

Things certainly do seem to be shaping up that way don't they. It seems that here in this country we may be moving towards the class systems of older cultures and societies. Although a lot of opportnity sytil exists in this country, we seem to be moving toward the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor type society.

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Is their any good reason why you had to bring ANOTHER racially inclined thread to this forum? Enough with the damn racial shit already! I think that black whites yellows purples and greens will all agree with me. STOP WITH THE SHIT!

Do you honestly care what my opinions are on some ignorant person that refuses to celebrate independance day because his race? Is it that important to you? Is it so important that you want to see more bitter fighting between people that used to consider themselves friends?

Know when to shut up.
    Slayer

• jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

Slayer, I'll post anything I want to.

I didn't participate in or even read the other racial threads. If you are tired of it, it's because you won't stop reading about it and obviously can't since you clicked on this thread when you were already sick of the topic.

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

How remarkably wise you are. Almost as wise as TeeJay, the instigator of all things racist.

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi Jimmy,

It sounds like your friend has a chip on his shoulder. Tell him it may be good to consider that if independance had taken longer to achieve, it's a strong possibility that abolition of slavery would also have taken longer.

Jigrigger

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Jigrigger:

This is NOT meant as an attack or as an anti-American statement, however if independence had not been achieved, the liklihood is that slavery would have been abolished sooner in America.

A check of the history books reveals that the slave trade was abolished in the then existing British Empire in 1807, and the institution of slavery itself was abolished in the Empire 1833.

Had American remained under British rule, it would therefore not have had to fight a bloody civil war several decades later over the issue.

Expatbrit

• Kismet
    Kismet

Jimmy:

It is good your friend now has the freedom to make that stand. Isn't that more important than if I agree with his stance or not.

The freedoms entrenched by the Declaration of Independence/Bill of Rights are more than reason to celebrate today, regardless of what particular individual politicians were doing at that time.

Kismet - a part time American

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit