a plane crash in siberia

by Drue 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Drue
    Drue

Dont really know why i'm posting this on a JW forum. I found the story very sad. I work for an airline and live not too far from the place of the accident.

http://europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/07/04/siberia.plane/index.html

MOSCOW, Russia -- Both flight recorders have been recovered from the scene of a Russian plane crash in which more than 140 people died.

Relatives of the passengers were being flown to the scene of destruction at the town of Irkutsk on Wednesday, but were not being told the cause of the accident.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered an investigatory commission to be set up, headed by deputy prime minister Ilya Klebanov, who was in charge of last year's inquiry into the sinking of the submarine, the Kursk.

Roza Gavrikova, whose husband died in Wednesday's plane accident, said: "They are not telling us why the plane crashed, but what they are telling us is that the pilot's last words were, 'I see the landing strip,'"

The plane had been flying at an altitude of 2,800 feet (930 metres) when it suddenly made a 180-degree turn and crashed, Russian Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu told reporters.

He said: "It is so hard to comprehend how it could happen. It is a weird accident."

But deputy transport minister Karl Ruppel told Reuters such an event was "practically impossible."

Ruppel also dismissed media speculation that there may have been an explosion on board, saying the wreckage appeared to be too compact to indicate a blast.

Instead, Harrigan said investigators will be looking at the possibilities that the plane had run-out of fuel, that the crash had been the result of pilot error, or that there had been a problem with the engines.

He added, that three minutes before the plane's fall from the skies, the pilot had said "everything is OK."

Early reports had said that 133 passengers and 10 crew had been on board the plane when it plunged into woods about 34 kilometres (21 miles) from the Siberian city of Irkutsk -- 4,200 kilometres (2,600 miles) east of Moscow.

But a Russian official told news agencies that 136 passengers and nine crew had died, with 12 of the passengers likely to have been Chinese.

The TU-154 plane exploded as it attempted to make a third attempt at landing for a routine refueling stop at 2.10 a.m. local time on Wednesday (1710 GMT on Tuesday), Russian media said.

Russia mourns

A day of mourning has been announced in parts of Russia's far east.

Flight attendant Svetlana Basmanova, whose crew had just swapped with the doomed team, said she never wanted to fly again.

Charter flights were arranged to take relatives of the dead to the crash site
    "We arrived on that flight, and said goodbye to the girls (in the departing crew). As always we wished them clear skies."

Relatives of the deceased were expected to be offered $414 in insurance payments from the airline, the Associated Press quoted Interfax as saying.

The plane, owned by the Vladivostok Avia company, was flying east from Yekaterinburg in the Urals in south central Russia to Vladivostok, a major port on the Pacific coast.

The area around the crash site is surrounded by dachas, or country retreats, near Lake Baikal, but there have been no reports of people on the ground being killed.

NTV television showed a scorched clearing strewn with smoking wreckage. Only the plane's rear wing was intact amid a mangled engine, a wheel and fragments of white fuselage.

Airline deputy director Vladimir Razbezhkin told reporters that the airline had bought the jet two months earlier from China and had since carried out renovations.

The TU-154, which can carry up to 180 passengers, is the workhorse for Russia's many airlines, carrying about half of all Russian air passengers.

It was designed as the Soviet counterpart to the Boeing 727 and the European-made Trident, but with the added ability to operate from short, rough runways. About 1,000 were produced.

The plane has been involved in 28 air disasters since it was created in 1968. Most have happened after the break-up of Aeroflot into hundreds of so-called baby-Aeroflots flying domestic routes following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

In 1994, a TU-154 jet crashed on take-off from Irkutsk, killing 124 people, after it was reportedly overloaded.

Maintenance and repairs had deteriorated on the planes, but its record has improved in recent years.

• Mulan
    Mulan

That is so sad.

Those airlines are pretty scary. We flew the Polish airlines, LOT, in 1989, going to the special conventions in Poland, and the flight was only from Zurich to Warsaw (about 2 hours), but it was downright terrifying. (we had flown American from Chicago to Zurich) They couldn't start the engines, so they pounded on the control panel, and everything lit up, so they gave it the thumbs up, and we took off. White knuckles all the way, after that. The plane looked good from the outside, but there was a half curtain separating the cockpit from the main cabin. The overhead storage were hammocks. One of the elders on the flight with us, was a TWA flight instructor, and he was scared spitless.

Anyway, I'm never surprised when one goes down.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• outnfree
    outnfree

This strikes me as odd:

The TU-154 plane exploded as it attempted to make a third attempt at landing for a routine refueling stop at 2.10 a.m. local time on Wednesday (1710 GMT on Tuesday), Russian media said. [Italics and bold mine]

coming on the heels of this:

He added, that three minutes before the plane's fall from the skies, the pilot had said "everything is OK."

A very sad story, indeed, Drue. I'm sorry for your pain.

outnfree

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Mulan,

I had a similar experience but not as scary. I flew UK to Bulgaria on a TU154. The aircraft has a large but low undercarriage for use on gravel airstrips and consequently entry had to be made from steps rather than a jetway. The overhead luggage racks were open like on buses, there were no other niceties on the plane compared to Western designs. When the plane began the landing approach the cabin lights were turned off completely and the airconditioning filled the cabin with a light mist which made it really eerie!

I have had much scarier rides in the US flying in snow storms and severe cold and on one plane when it it took 2 hours to get an engine started after the Captain reported he had "flooded" it trying to start the engine in -20 F temps.

It is always sad when a plane goes down. I was sickened when I saw the news footage of the Concorde crash last year. It meant something much more to me as I had worked on Concorde components as a young engineer and toured the factory when it was being being built.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Hello Drue,

As to why you decided to post this item, I guess I can only state some of my own thoughts. It is always frightening, and so sad, to hear of such a tragedy.

..140 lives snuffed out in the blink of an eye. We immediately think of our own mortality...how quickly 'that one thing' could happen to end our lives, and the lives of those we love.

How many times have most of us said something such as, "Drive carefully, have a safe trip, watch out for the drunks, don't drive too fast," and various other expressions that are typically used in our respective cultures. We say such phrases casually, but I think they stem from our fears.

And, more importantly, I believe we 'relate' to the families in the pain and ensuing grief that they will deal with as long as they live. 140 humans died, but hundreds more are directly impacted by the tragedy. Wives, husbands, children, grandparents, friends, coworkers, and on-and-on.

Most of us here, can relate on another 'level' having experienced the 'chain of pain and grief' of being 'shunned' by dear family members, due to the WTBTS policies.

You, working for an airline, must feel this for the reasons I expressed above, but also for unique 'associated' reasons as an airline employee. Concerns regarding mechanical and structural issues, pilot competence, etc. come to mind...information that you, in particular, are aware of, yet have no control over. Sometimes...sometimes, we just feel so helpless. Don't we?

Alas, I can only offer you my own brand of understanding, and some sincere
    ((((((((Hugs)))))))), dear Drue.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Drue,
    I saw the plane crash on the news last night and it was indeed a terrible tragedy. As Zazu eloquently said, we feel for the victims' families - the mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, wives, husbands and children left behind.

on a lighter note,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRUE!!

• Drue
    Drue

Thank you all who responded to this thread. I certainly do not have all the facts, nor am knowledgeable in airplanes that much, but from what I hear it seems that the aircraft ran out of fuel. There was no explosion, no big fire, as the report goes the plane was actually landing. It is really odd, outnfree, I agree.

Thirdson,

[qoute]
    I was sickened when I saw the news footage of the Concorde crash last year. It meant something much more to me as I had worked on Concorde components as a young engineer and toured the factory when it was being being built [/quote]

I agree with you, the Concorde crash was a disaster. I trust they were installing new kevlar/rubber fuel tank liners and making flight tests, so it may be brought back to operating by the end of the summer.

Zazu,

Thank you for your concern. I found yours a very insightful post. I only posted a couple of lines, and you were able to look deep down into my motivation, and my experience as to why I posted this – something I may not even have realized myself.

Prisca!!!

Why, thank you! How did you know!? This is my first birthday outside of the org, and I am still not a celebrator of the holiday – mostly due to an aftereffect of being a JW. I appreciate the congratulations however, thank you. Yesterday I received a very unexpected greeting e-card – my first birthday card in perhaps 11 years – from my former college-mate who immigrated to US. It was such a great surprise for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit