Christmas

by link 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• link
    link

I was once told that Rutherford only decided that Christmas was a "No No" after he split up with his wife. Because if he could not spend Christmas with his family then no one would.

It sounds far fetched but could any of the contributors to Farkels giant "Rutherford Exposed" thread confirm that the date for the Christmas ban came anywhere near Rutherfords split with his wife?

Thanks

link

• Celia
    Celia

bttt.

• RR
    RR

I don't think so, Christmas was banned in the late 1920s, Beth Sarim hadn't been built yet. he did away with all holidays as a way to control his followers. Keep them away from family activities and keep them busy preaching and selling his books.

RR

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

It's going to be an interesting X-mas in one household I know of.

One of my "grew up around the truth" supposed to be JW relatives recently had a get together on her day of birth (JW-speak for B-day party) where she literally had her hands out for gifts as guests walked through the door, even from some of her relatives she knew were JW, when just a few months ago, she was walking around like a fire-breathing dragon because her non-JW husband decided that he wanted a X-mas tree and lights decorating the house.

• blondie
    blondie

Didn't Russell give each Bethelite a gold coin? Maybe Rutherford was just cheap bast**d.

yb75 p. 147 United States of America (Part Two) ***

In Pastor Russell?s day, Christmas was celebrated at the old Bible House in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Ora Sullivan Wakefield recalls that Brother Russell gave members of the Bible House family five- or ten-dollar gold pieces at Christmas.

Blondie

• RR
    RR

Blondie, if Rutherford did give gold coins they probably had chocolate inside

• link
    link

Thanks for the responses. Just from memory, I thought that the dates didn't tie up!

link

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit